Mystery Block - to me....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 26, 2009
Oday 22 cleveland
Hello all and I hope it's been a safe summer so far.
I've never used it, and am not sure why it's there.
The block in question is a little spring block I point to in red.
The arrow in blue is where I always attach my gib sheet to.

Thanks again

Attachments

Dec 26, 2009
Oday 22 cleveland
Thanks for the replies, I'm still clueless. They are on both sides but, it's really small, about an inch, secured to one spot and standing up on a spring.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Hello all and I hope it's been a safe summer so far.
I've never used it, and am not sure why it's there.
The block in question is a little spring block I point to in red.
The arrow in blue is where I always attach my gib sheet to.

Thanks again
I think it's for a roller furler but I don't know why they would mount one on each side of the boat.

Apr 25, 2010
Oday 22 Wellfleet MA
I have the same question. I just launched my O'Day 22 for the first time last weekend. Without rigging instructions, I wondered about the same blocks. I guessed they would be used for smaller (storm) jib sheets. I have a mystery line but thta's another post.

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
Glad you guys brought this up, i am having alot of trouble with my jib sheets getting fouled. they get crossed up or jammed on my winches if i run them to the travelers, and are too high of an approach if i run them straight to the winches, pulling them off the top of the winch
i have to get ready for work, but i want to post a picture of my set up and then get some feed back from you guys. I will try to post the pictures with my question this week.
keith

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Jabber

Glad you guys brought this up, i am having alot of trouble with my jib sheets getting fouled. they get crossed up or jammed on my winches if i run them to the travelers, and are too high of an approach if i run them straight to the winches, pulling them off the top of the winch
i have to get ready for work, but i want to post a picture of my set up and then get some feed back from you guys. I will try to post the pictures with my question this week.
keith
--------- // ---------------

In small sailboats it is routine to change the sheeting when changing amount of sail or directions of sail. Some conditions require less than manixmum amount of sail and best sail shape requires different angles of sheets. So on a windy day, one would use the side deck blocks while on a less windy day or on a run the sheets would go way outside and directly to winch.

And it is routine to change the sheeting while sailing. When on one tack, one goes forward and changes the sheeting and then when on other tack, goes forward and changes the other line.

It never ceases to amaze me how prolonged use of alcohol diminishes the mental capacities. Sometimes those abusers of alcohol even posts examples of their alcohol induced jibberish.

Alcohol diminishes mental capacity. Should not be used while sailing or on the internet.

Ed K

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
I'd say the blocks are for the jib- 100%
Any larger sails would lead back to the track by the winches.
That's how mine is set up.

Rich

Dec 26, 2009
Oday 22 cleveland
WTF was that?

--------- // ---------------

It never ceases to amaze me how prolonged use of alcohol diminishes the mental capacities. Sometimes those abusers of alcohol even posts examples of their alcohol induced jibberish.

Alcohol diminishes mental capacity. Should not be used while sailing or on the internet.

Ed K

Jul 10, 2010
Oday 25 Urbanna, VA
On my 25, the mystery block you point to in red is for the job sheet. ONE benefit of that block (besides sheeting angles) is that it "stops" the stopper knot and keeps the sheet within reach if something goes afoul.

The adjustable block you point to in blue is I think for genoa sheets. I don't fly a genny on Solly so I haven't used them.

Jun 22, 2010
Oday 25 Cooperstown, NY
I too have one of the blocks on each side and was guessing it was for my furling line.

And I personally missed where the alcohol rant came from.

Mar 21, 2008
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Standard jib

I too have one of the blocks on each side and was guessing it was for my furling line.

And I personally missed where the alcohol rant came from.
The stand up blocks were for the 100% jib. The traveler behind is for the Spinnaker .On my Oday 25 there is a short traveler in front of the winches. This is for the 130 Genoas. Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.