Mysterious Hole in Mast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 21, 2011
C&C 32 Ottawa
There is a reinforced hole built into front of the mast of my C&C32 that I have not been able to figure out. I’m sure there is a use for it but I haven’t figured out what.
Anyone knowledgeable out there?
The hole is just below the spreaders.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2007
-Irwin -Citation 40 Wilmington, NC
Looks like a fitting for a baby stay. Is there a fitting or chain plate on deck that is not being used?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Looks like a fitting for a baby stay. Is there a fitting or chain plate on deck that is not being used?
winner!

Almost all C&C's of this age/length had babystays. Because the rig is masthead, a babystay is used to add bent to the mast to control mainsail shape.

Nov 8, 2010
All the chain plates are being used. the mast has solid rod rigging.
That's OK. Look up babystay.

It connects to the front of the mast and runs to the middle of the foredeck, on the centerline. Not to a chainplate. It's always made of wire.

Nov 21, 2011
C&C 32 Ottawa
Forestay?

Looking at this picture I would say it is at about the inner forestay height. There is no hardware on the deck for either a baby stay or forestay.

Attachments

Nov 8, 2010
Looking at this picture I would say it is at about the inner forestay height. There is no hardware on the deck for either a baby stay or forestay.

Try THIS picture

You can see it here to, with the block that is used to adjust it.

I used to have a 34. Exact same system. That being said, it could be an optional piece of rigging on the 32, as it is a bit of a tweak. So the mast could have the fitting, but it might not be installed on the deck.

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
standard baby stay on a mast head rig

Try THIS picture

You can see it here to, with the block that is used to adjust it.

I used to have a 34. Exact same system. That being said, it could be an optional piece of rigging on the 32, as it is a bit of a tweak. So the mast could have the fitting, but it might not be installed on the deck.
Its part of a Standard Mast tang fitting for a baby stay to help add pre-bend to mast...Also stops mast from pumping in heavy weather Especially needed when sailing offshore. Could keep you from losing a mast. Take closer look at picture above ...... Its Right there in plain sight... attaches to deck just behind forward hatch. Typical for fair weather smooth water lake sailors to remove and then loose parts. :naughty:

Nov 21, 2011
C&C 32 Ottawa
Then that's it for sure.
Thank you all for your knowledge.
Got to go clean the boat. Catch you later.

Jun 22, 2012
Catalina 27 std dinette mission bay
I was thinking topping lift, but a babystay makes more sense. How does it attach?

Nov 8, 2010
I was thinking topping lift, but a babystay makes more sense. How does it attach?
At the mast side, the SS wire will have a t-ball fitting. You put it in turned 90 degrees, and in regular position under load it cannot fall out.

On deck deck side, a quick release shackle, often with an adjuster to control bend, via block set or a trim wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.