My Trogear AS-40 bow sprit install on a Capri 22

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
I got a ProFurl Spinex 0.9 top-down spinnaker furler ready. Waiting for the new asym. This is going to be so much fun.......

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
@Slartibartfass : That looks great! Should be a blast!

What led you to the longer AS-40 over the (shorter and cheaper) AS-30 that would be more standard on a 22 footer? I've talked to C-Sprit (who makes a similar design to Trogear's) and thought about a setup like yours, so I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
I tried the AS-30 first with the side mounts. Side mounts did not have enough adjustment capability to account for the twist and bend in the hull. Tried to avoid thru hull install.

Without the side mounts the hinge point moves back and on the Capri 22 to clear the bow pulpit you need at least 26-28" measured from the bow rubrail to clear the pulpit and be able to install a furler in front/outside the pulpit. I did a mock up of the AS-30 last year with the spinnaker halyard extended down in a straight line to get the measurement.

Also I did no like the hinge tube to be so far forward potentially getting in the way for future repair work if I ever need to replace the stem fitting.

So I exchanged for an AS-40 and did the thru hull install. I chose the titanium rod with quick release pin so despite the hinge tube protruding 1-1/2" (recommended max is 3/4") I and Trogear felt comfortable with the setup. Added 2 layer of 1/8" G10 fiberglass board on the inside to stiffen the area epoxied in with Six10 epoxy.

Attachments

Last edited:

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Hinge point is 11.5" measured of the stem fitting below the rubrail and 1.5" down.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
I also think a thru hull or side mount solution is preferable to an on deck install based on the forces in play.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
I tried the AS-30 first with the side mounts. Side mounts did not have enough adjustment capability to account for the twist and bend in the hull. Tried to avoid thru hull install.

Without the side mounts the hinge point moves back and on the Capri 22 to clear the bow pulpit you need at least 26-28" measured from the bow rubrail to clear the pulpit and be able to install a furler in front/outside the pulpit. I did a mock up of the AS-30 last year with the spinnaker halyard extended down in a straight line to get the measurement.

Also I did no like the hinge tube to be so far forward potentially getting in the way for future repair work if I ever need to replace the stem fitting.

So I exchanged for an AS-40 and did the thru hull install. I chose the titanium rod with quick release pin so despite the hinge tube protruding 1-1/2" (recommended max is 3/4") I and Trogear felt comfortable with the setup. Added 2 layer of 1/8" G10 fiberglass board on the inside to stiffen the area epoxied in with Six10 epoxy.
Thanks - that's great info. I hadn't really thought about the through hull installation, but your pics make me reconsider that. I have more thinking to do...