my throttle cable bracket is missing from the pedestal! without the bracket the steering is sloppy. who can help?

Jan 28, 2020
hunter 28.5 apollo beach
HI, I am looking for a solution to fit my new throttle cable solidly in the pedestal. there is supposed to be a bracket that holds the cable in place. The bracket is necessary so the cable stays in place and makes the moving part inside the cable respond correctly. without the bracket the whole cable moves instead of the throttle interface inside the cable? Who can help? thanks

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Any parts for cabling in your pedestal should be available from a Morse controls and cabling retailer.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Who can help?
What brand, Merriman, Edson? On our boat the throttle cable is secured to the Edson pedestal via a clamp. That small clamp is a part of the Edson pedestal assembly. That clamp attaches to a molded knuckle that is part of the upper pedestal assembly. That is also where you can tension the clamp to help prevent throttle creep. If not an Edson, no help here.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
You don't indicate the brand but on my 86 28.5 I had a Merriman so it's likely that is what you have. Under the steering shaft, on the aft side, about halfway between the cockpit floor and the shaft you'll find a large screw head. That is what holds and tensions the bracket that keeps the cables in place. Check and see if it is there ? If not, the bracket is probably lying on the cockpit floor inside the pedestal ! Remove the compass and check with a flashlight. Then you'll need to find a way to retrieve it and re-install with a new machine screw (not sure but I believe it is 1/4 X 20). If the screw head is not missing, then it could be so loose that one or both cables could have gotten loose. Again you have to remove the compass to try and wiggle the cables in place before putting some tension back on the screw. And if you can't find the bracket at all, here is a model of one you can make out of a small aluminum block. Plus I'm also attaching 2 pieces of info I had save from Merriman. Not related to the cable issue but could be useful.

Attachments

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Calif. Ted's photo of the clamp on the far right is what most Edson pedestals use. It is held in place with a single round head bolt below the wheel on the trailing edge of the pedestal tube. You have to remove the compass and the control head to gain access. The clamp is first tightened around the two cables and then you have to position clamp to line up the threaded hole with the hole in the pedestal so you can hold it fast with that round head screw I just mentioned. Not too hard to do, but it will try your patience.