My rudder problem has just become more complicate

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
The problem last week was that I couldn't get the rudder blade out of the water. Went to try the lasso technique, which I think might work, but now I can't get the blade into the water. It is mostly stuck in the up position even with the friction wheel backed completely out. Must be the growth on the unpainted parts of the boat, which includes the entire rudder assembly. Pretty incredible growth rate. This pic is from two weeks growth.

So to pull off the rudder, I assume I just remove the circlicp from the upper mounting pin, then pull the rudder up and off?

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Is the Line Jammed?

If the line is clear I'll bet it some extra encouragement to go down.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
make sure you have a line tied to it when you take it off... some rudders are floaters and some are sinkers... but removing it to find out what the problem is sounds like your only option.

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
Oooh, I was wondering about that. Someone told me a story about one popping off and it floated. But this seems like an awfully heavy sob. I'll bet it's a sinker..... Thanks!

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
Can the rudder be removed from the transom with the boat in the water? Seems the pins have to be tapped out. The lower one is in the water. Seems impossible to get it out. Thought of pumping the water out of the ballast, which would raise the pin out of the water I think. Not sure how I'd even do that and whether the pin could be tapped out anyway.

Is there a trick?

Sep 16, 2007
Hunter 23.5 lighthouse landing
Take the rudder assembly apart. Check the spacer sleeve on the pivot bolt. If damaged (squashed) that may squeeze the head plates too much and cause bind. If it needs to be replaced use pvc pipe. Cut to proper length. Ya might have to drill out the inner dia for the bolt but its a quick, simple, inexpensive and effective fix.

Sep 16, 2007
Hunter 23.5 lighthouse landing
B T W there is a trick to removing the rudder in the water. Have a second person on board to help.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
There is a wing nut on the side of the rudder housing. Are you releasing the pressure off by turning it counter clockwise. Also, above it there is a bolt and see if it is creating any pressure and if so, loosen it a little at a time to see if that helps.

On the inside of the rudder housing where the wing nut/bolt runs thru, do you have large white delrin or white plastic washers or is it a rubbery style gasket affixed or glued to the inside of the rudder housing?

Under boat information for the 23.5, there is an owners manual under down loads., The rudder is referenced but the diagram is a bunch of baloney. Look under the 240 and go to the owners manual under downloads. Scroll down about 2/3 of the way and you will see a much better detailed description of the rudder. Please study it as they are the same set up. At this point, you really need an expert here and I guess I know these boats all too well. Only if you knew. I will be glad to call you recognizing you are three hours behind me. I will need a phone number and you can send that to me via forum email to Crazy Dave Condon. All contact informaitin is kept private and discarded after the call.

One other thing, did you loosen up the tie down line?

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Cape Cod, Ma.
Bad rudder info

I own a 23.5 and I looked at the diagram that Crazy Dave mentioned for the H240/260 and it is a completely different syatem than the 23.5 rudder.

Here is that link Dave referred to, and look at the 240/260 rudder diagram.

http://sbo.sailboatowners.com/downloads/Hunter_240_16790565.pdf

My take is that you either have the lock handle too tight, or the threaded horizontal nut and bolt too tight, or the uphaul/downhaul line incorrectly routed or jammed.
Note : Do not remove the vertical pivot nuts and bolts to remove only the rudder blade, and yes they can be heavy and not float. Best removed in shallow water 2-3 feet deep if you cannot haul the boat. Regards, Mike

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
Re: Bad rudder info

So odd, since it was less than two weeks ago the rudder blade swung so freely that it was almost as hard putting it down as up, since it wanted to drop into the water. Two weeks later, I have to push really hard to get it down. Went out today and seemed a little looser, which makes no sense either.

So I guess I don't take the entire rudder off. Only remove the blade?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Reference to the basic line set up for the rudder which will give this fellow some idea how the lines are running for the rudder blade. Yes there are some differences but the basics are close and it is a much better diagram than the 23.5 manual on line. It is just a reference Mike.

For example the haul down line for the 23.5 runs internally, not on the outside. What I am trying to get at is that block internally inside the rudder post housing. I have offered to help this fellow by calling him but he has not taken me up on it and is a new sailor to this boat which is obvious.

However, I did see some rudder uphaul lines set up like the 240 on the 23.5 coming out of the factory as I had some of those boats as a dealer.

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
Hey Dave, I wouldn't take up your time until I've exhausted the leads I've picked up on the forum. I can only get to my boat a few times a week, so haven't really sorted out the lines yet. I am going to get out this morning tho with the H240/260 diagram to see if I can make sense of it. I am beginning to think that might be it tho. I was with the same friend that bent mast raising pole by pulling that line up so hard. When we tried getting the blade up a few weekends ago, he was pulling the rudder lines as hard as he could. Might have bound one up. Strong guy....

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I sold 1/4 of the production line and know your boat very well. There are many who have taken up the offer of me calling and in some cases I have told them to keep my phone number for future reference. I introduced the boat and demoed the boat up and down the east coast when I got it. Instead of exhausting your efforts, it would not cost you anything for a few phone calls as we could get to the problem quickly.

Kermit, tell him your experience with me as to helping. I give back to others as that is my nature and God was good to me which is another reason I like to give back as a retired dealer on the small boats.

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
Thanks Dave, I will take you up on your generous offer to help next time. And I know there will be one. Soon, no doubt. But I found the problem. Was indeed the lower line on the blade was bound. No doubt from my muscle man first mate trying to yank the blade all the way up. The line was between the rudder plate the blade. It is free now, tho the blade is in the water and I can't giddy up. Heading over to Walmart for a boat hook to set the loop. Think it will work. If not, the thing sits in the water until this weekend. Probably be unrecognizable by then.... Thanks again!

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
Thanks Dave, I will take you up on your generous offer to help next time. And I know there will be one. Soon, no doubt. But I found the problem. Was indeed the lower line on the blade was bound. No doubt from my muscle man first mate trying to yank the blade all the way up. The line was between the rudder plate the blade. It is free now, tho the blade is in the water and I can't giddy up. Heading over to Walmart for a boat hook to set the loop. Think it will work. If not, the thing sits in the water until this weekend. Probably be unrecognizable by then.... Thanks again!
Problem solved.

Attachments