My old stuffing box is shining like a new penny. I think that's a bad thing.

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
Isn't the stuffing box made of either brass or bronze? I'm no expert on galvanic corrosion, if it looks like it's copper, doesn't that mean that the alloy (zinc?) completely gone? Thanks for input.

20200705_183957.jpg

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
A loss of zinc in a bronze fitting will look like this shaft log. Note the pink coloring that is a tell-tell sign of loss of zinc. Your cutlass bearing looks great to me.
20160310_151049.jpg

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
There should be no brass fittings anywhere on your boat that contact other metals or seawater, period. Use only silicon bronze or 316 SS. Make sure you have zincs everywhere in you cooling system where dissimilar metals are connected by water, especially seawater. Also, all thruhulls/seacocks and the stuffing box should be tied together and grounded.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
IH82BL8, Your pic does not show a loss of zinc, but an application of gold Krylon paint!
But if the stuffing box was soaked in sulfuric acid,
I suppose the results would be similar :laugh:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It was soaked in sulfuric acid.

It's not new, I removed it and cleaned it up.

In case anyone is curious, the boat is out of the water :).
The stuffing box is bronze. Why did you soak it in acid? Within a few days after it is installed it will tarnish again. In salt water it will develop a green patina.

Sep 17, 2012
Morgan 383 Fairhaven, NY
Try vinegar next time. You won't need a respirator. It'll do the same thing, a bit safer to boot. Put your disassembled heat exchanger tube assembly in there too and all your bronze parts.
Hey Dave, you should clean yours off too. You're in fresh water, it'll stay nice and shiny!

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
Tried vinegar, didn't make any difference. I cleaned it because, when I take something apart, I clean it before I put it back together. It was well tarnished and patina'ed. It looked like a giant booger. I'm planning to sell the boat in the Spring and I didn't want the visible condition of the stuffing box to give a prospective buyer cause for concern.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I, personally, think the green patina is the correct look for all things bronze and copper. It's a natural protective coating. People even have developed "pickling solutions" to precipitate the patina without having to wait for father time to do his work.

Take a look at bronze statues, and other bronze works of art.