My O'Day 27 Broken in to, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2010
Oday 27 mystic
Hello fellow O'day 27ers,

My boat, Carpe Diem, a 1976 O'Day 27 was recently broken into at mooring. Thieves got my Statpower battery charger and stereo, ruined 3 gel batteries, but worse threw overboard my companionway boards, and ripped out a teak china cabinet.

Most of this is covered by insurance, but I need your help in two areas. First, did the O'Day, when new, come with solid or plywood teak companionway boards? The second, can anyone send me a photo of their teak china cabinet (which I assume came factory installed) that is located stbd side, just aft of the ice box/locker. A ruler for scale in the picture would be appreciated as I have to try and replicate it.

On an unrelated (to the break in) note I also have to repair a broken main stay (port side, to mast head). Can anybody recommend an good internet rigging shop to replace the stay?

Please feel free to write to me directly at scott.reed@att.net.

Thanks and appreciation in advance,

Scott Reed

Nov 11, 2008
Oday 34 Noank, CT
Holy moly Scott! I'm so sorry to hear about that. Which marina are you in? I have a friend with a 1982 O'Day 28 and I'll check with him on the china cabinet. Maybe I can grab a photo for you today.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Scott Reed

Hello fellow O'day 27ers,

My boat, Carpe Diem, a 1976 O'Day 27 was recently broken into at mooring. Thieves got my Statpower battery charger and stereo, ruined 3 gel batteries, but worse threw overboard my companionway boards, and ripped out a teak china cabinet.

Most of this is covered by insurance, but I need your help in two areas. First, did the O'Day, when new, come with solid or plywood teak companionway boards? The second, can anyone send me a photo of their teak china cabinet (which I assume came factory installed) that is located stbd side, just aft of the ice box/locker. A ruler for scale in the picture would be appreciated as I have to try and replicate it.

On an unrelated (to the break in) note I also have to repair a broken main stay (port side, to mast head). Can anybody recommend an good internet rigging shop to replace the stay?

Please feel free to write to me directly at scott.reed@att.net.

Thanks and appreciation in advance,

Scott Reed
Scott Reed,

Shit happens.

My 26 was broken into when I first got it. They destroyed in companionway board retaining pieces. As noted in my post on HDPE, I replaced them with new HDPE pieces. Since I had taken everything out of the boat to rebuild, they got empty surprise. I was lucky in that they did not trash it because it was empty. I think that they were in a hurry to find valuables fast.

I rebuilding process I had to replace the two main side stays. I used:
http://www.newjsi.com/rigging_sail.aspx
While supposedly a new company, the guys there were around when O'Day had a plant in Florida.

Procedure was to send old stays and made exact copies. Price was reasonable. I sent stays on a Monday by UPS and had new stays on Thursday.

This was all before I found out about Rudy. You might check with D & R for product comparison.

There have been other good rigging references made in this forum in the past. If one of those that you can find in archives is close by I would recommend getting bid from them.

You might also replace both stays to have two new equal ones on boat.

Ed K

Attachments

Jun 9, 2010
Oday 27 mystic
Thanks J'naut

Holy moly Scott! I'm so sorry to hear about that. Which marina are you in? I have a friend with a 1982 O'Day 28 and I'll check with him on the china cabinet. Maybe I can grab a photo for you today.
That would be great. They (1976 27' & 1982 28') might have the same layout. If they do it'd be great if your friend could take a picture or two (w/ruler or tape measure included) which I can submit to insurance and a marine woodworker.

Don't want to identify the marina by name, but for locals it's just west of Noank peninsula/Morgan Point. I'm miffed with them, the boat was moved from winter slip to summer mooring when the break in happened. The boat was left wide open, boards gone, hatch fully open for two weeks before the marina discovered it, and a week later before I got down (was on a business trip) to find out the marina didn't board her and close the top hatch. Gulls had a major party, literally scores of broken open crabs everywhere including below. A real mess...

Jun 9, 2010
Oday 27 mystic
Thanks Ed K

Ed K,
Thanks for getting back to me. I'll respond in situ...

Scott Reed,

Shit happens.

My 26 was broken into when I first got it. They destroyed in companionway board retaining pieces. As noted in my post on HDPE, I replaced them with new HDPE pieces. Since I had taken everything out of the boat to rebuild, they got empty surprise. I was lucky in that they did not trash it because it was empty. I think that they were in a hurry to find valuables fast.

Same w/ me. They ripped out what they could but left the most valuable things, 3 new(ish) group 24 gel batteries from West. They were worth 3x the value of the charger and stereo. Question - HDPE, I'm guessing High Density something something.

But my main issue is finding out what boards were provided by O'Day, were they solid teak, teak plywood or something else. My insurance coverage allows me to restore/replace to the original material.

I rebuilding process I had to replace the two main side stays. I used:
http://www.newjsi.com/rigging_sail.aspx
While supposedly a new company, the guys there were around when O'Day had a plant in Florida.

Procedure was to send old stays and made exact copies. Price was reasonable. I sent stays on a Monday by UPS and had new stays on Thursday.

Thanks for reference I'll check them out

This was all before I found out about Rudy. You might check with D & R for product comparison.

Forgive my ignorance, I've just joined this group. Who is Rudy?

There have been other good rigging references made in this forum in the past. If one of those that you can find in archives is close by I would recommend getting bid from them.

You might also replace both stays to have two new equal ones on boat.

I agree, if one failed, the other can't be far behind

Ed K

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Scott,
Check with Rudy Nickerson at D & R Marine on the cabinet and pen boards. Rudy has a lot of O'Day parts up over his store in his loft. I'm sure he can help you with anything you may need to get your boat back in condition. Good luck with that.
Joe

Jun 9, 2010
Oday 27 mystic
Thanks Joe, which D&R Marine (there are several)

Thanks Joe,
Which D&R Marine (there are several) across the US?

Scott,
Check with Rudy Nickerson at D & R Marine on the cabinet and pen boards. Rudy has a lot of O'Day parts up over his store in his loft. I'm sure he can help you with anything you may need to get your boat back in condition. Good luck with that.
Joe

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Thanks Joe,
Which D&R Marine (there are several) across the US?
I'm sorry. I should have posted his web site.
http://www.drmarine.com/ This guy is very knowledgeable about O'Days. He bought out all their parts and boat molds years ago when the company went out of business. He had worked for them years back. He recently bought out all the parts from Alden Yachts. Your pen boards were probably made from 1/2" Teak marine plywood. He makes them up at his shop, but he also has acrylic pen boards. On the plywood; you need to seal the end grain with varnish so the boards don't warp. To tell you the truth, I don't like them. These are my second set of pen boards and they're starting to warp again. I beefed up the inner frame of my companionway opening with Mahogany a few years ago. I really dread having to go through what just happened to you. It's my biggest nightmare. I've been lucky so far. My friend Wayne installed an alarm on his Seaward 22. So far, we've been both lucky. I hope everything works out OK for you. Good luck!
Joe

May 18, 2010
Oday 27 Gulfport, MS
Hey Scott, how are the repairs coming along? What year is yours? I have a '75 and can get back to it in a couple of weeks if you still need photos for your rebuild. I'm new to ODays, so have no idea of mine will be outfitted the same as yours, but can get photos if you like.

Any solutions on strengthening the companionway hatches to prevent break-ins?

Status
Not open for further replies.