My Nominee:Stupid Boater of the Month

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
...or drying out the sail. We have done the same thing on purpose

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Apex, I love your answer and did that very same with sails to include mainsail after a drenching so to dry the sails out. Only the comments that I heard.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
Their sail, their choice.... having the sail rub like this agains the stay and the spreader pushing through? If drying the sail this way is a common practice, I am glad my boat is fractional rig. But what do I know....

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Oh heck I've done that.
First time out on first boat I owned. Sails was in a bag, I hanked in on and up it went. Immediately realized that it did not look right. Tried to get it down as fast as possible and hoped no one saw it.

Mistake was thinking that when the sail was put in the bag it was done so that it could be launched right from the bag with the top of the sail at the top of the bag. WRONG !

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Mistake was thinking that when the sail was put in the bag it was done so that it could be launched right from the bag with the top of the sail at the top of the bag. WRONG !
I have hank on headsails. I like to bag them with the tack at the top so I can securely attach the sail to the boat before removing the bag.
Does hoisting a sail upside down help to dry it? I've always put them upside right when drying. Maybe I just don't want to face the abuse of comments from hoisting upside down :)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I have hank on headsails. I like to bag them with the tack at the top so I can securely attach the sail to the boat before removing the bag.
Does hoisting a sail upside down help to dry it? I've always put them upside right when drying. Maybe I just don't want to face the abuse of comments from hoisting upside down :)
That's exactly what I was thinking but I didn't want to look "topsy turvy" to people.

- Will (Dragonfly)

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i have dried sails upside down that way at a dock.the logic i used was that it kept the clew and wider area of the sail well away from the dock posts, cleats, etc. at least thats what i thought i was doing

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If the US Flag flown upside down indicates danger help.

What message does an upside down sail send?