my new project

Status
Not open for further replies.

beast

Apr 5, 2013
Bristol 24 home
this past January i was given what im told is a '79 Bristol 24 Corsair just for hauling it away
it had been abandoned out in the yard of a foreclosed home
the previous owners had started to restore it at some point and had pretty much stripped it
then left it uncovered in northern michigan winters, how many i dont know
the bilge was full of ice, the companionway floor is soft, the wood under the seat/bunks is all soft and swollen, most of the rub rail is missing, all the outside wood parts are gone, the rope rails are broken off and water was runing in thru the remaining holes
lots to fix but i think i can manage it :)
the HIN seems to have been ground off, i cant find one anywhere and the outer hull was gel coated
the wiring is also all gone as well as the plumbing and all the seat cushions
i can easily replace or make these but i need pics and measurements if any of you have them
and a good schematic would be quite helpful
i would also like to know if the year and make are right
thank you in advance for any help or suggestions

Attachments

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
I would make sure you can get the tittle for it before doing anything. Without a vin number you are probably screwed. No way of doing a title search? I am sorry, you may have just got yourself some free yard art.

Jul 25, 2007
-Irwin -Citation 40 Wilmington, NC
You might be able to get around it by titling it as homebuilt but that has its own drawbacks. Different states deal with these things differently but most are getting stricter all the time. Like sailormangigd says I would get the title done before investing too much time or money just to be on the safe side.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
RE: my new project

Check sailboatdata for some drawings of the boat. Measuring the cushion areas should give you basic construction information. Look at the boats for sale sites for other Bristol 24 Corsairs for sale. Pictures from those sites will be helpful in planning how to replace cushions and other parts. Try a search for an owners' association for that model. All of the searching will be inexpensive and can be done while you secure title to the boat. Good luck with that. In my opinion that might be the most complicated and frustrating part.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
A lot of older boats (like my 1967 Morgan) will have the ID (serial) number (indelible marker or painted) in the anchor locker, cockpit lockers or inside a locker in the cabin.
Good luck.

beast

Apr 5, 2013
Bristol 24 home
ive found the title holder, he refuses to talk to me unless i give him $1500
which i aint gonna do... how hard is it to get a homebuilt title and how do i go about doing it?

Apr 6, 2013
Bristol B24 Friendship, Me
Hi Beast,

I sail a '69 B24. Great boat! I'm sure you'll love your boat once she's together.

Apr 8, 2013
Ontario Yachts, Ltd. 22 dry dock
Beast, I too just received a 'project' in similar condition as you described. My wife recently purchased an Ontario Yachts Gazelle 22 (we think?) that had not been properly covered and is now full of ice and water. I am trying to find as much information as I can about the vessel. If anyone reading this has a Gazelle 22, I would be very interested in knowing about it and getting pointed in the right direction. Beast, are you at the point where you have to replace structural pieces of you boat ?

beast

Apr 5, 2013
Bristol 24 home
so far ive really done nothing but clean it out and drain it
as far as i can see the companionway deck will ned replaced
beyond that i dont know, yet

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
ive found the title holder, he refuses to talk to me unless i give him $1500
which i aint gonna do... how hard is it to get a homebuilt title and how do i go about doing it?
It may be worth paying the guy to get the title. I mean the guy lost everything and you got his boat for free. I don't blame him. Sounds like he could use a break.

Jul 5, 2007
Kenner Privateer 26 schooner, Carlyle Illinois
Send the owner a bill for $2000.00 for unpaid storage fees, if he won't surrender the title.

beast

Apr 5, 2013
Bristol 24 home
the title guy only lost the boat, the forclosure was somene elses home where he had left the boat sit for only god knows how long, from what ive been told its been over 3 years

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
the title guy only lost the boat, the forclosure was somene elses home where he had left the boat sit for only god knows how long, from what ive been told its been over 3 years
That's a shame. Probably didn't have a way or place to move it to. Must be a way to get a title under these circumstances. Or the right way in my opinion is offer the fellow sailor a fair price for the title since it was "legally" taken from him. $1500 is a bit much for an abandoned boat that you had to have moved.

beast

Apr 5, 2013
Bristol 24 home
talked to the michigan SOS today, explained everything about the boat
they said they can and will get me a new title, its just gonna cost me...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.