MY LITTLE UTOPIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

J.DONALD SCHMITT

I AM LOOKING FORT INFO ON TRALERABLE SAILBOATS FROM 22-26FEET. I JUST LEARNED SAILING, AND HAVE THE "BUG". MY E-MAIL IS JDS@VSDUSA.COM THANDS

B

Brad Elbein

Trailerable C22

My second boat was/is a Catalina 22. I've moved up to a Catalina 30, because we're mostly interested in cruising, not trailer-sailing. However, I still own the C22, which is sitting on its trailer with a "for sale" sign. In any case, it's a great little boat. It's got plenty of room for overnight and weekends--porta potti, dinette, v-berth and the dinette folds into a double berth. It sails really, really well: points high, sail controls are easy, and it's pretty stable for its size. It's beachable because of the swing keel. Trailer sailing is not for everyone, but whether you keep this boat in the water or keep it on a trailer, it's a great boat. Were I single or had I no children, I'd never sell it.

E

Erik

www.trailersailor.com Messageboard

Try checking out The Trailer Sailor messageboard at <www.trailersailor.com> There's a lot of experienced small boat sailors that frequent the board.

S

Steve W

C22

Brad is right, the Catalina 22 is a great boat. I day chartered a Capri 23.5 and although it was fun to sail, It is basically a racing boat, kind of spartan and I hated the traveler across the cockpit seats. It will wreck your shins. I owned a 1988 Precison 21 for 4 years and we trailer sailed it all over Florida, especially the Florida Keys. Mast raising is no fun, but do-able. Got tired of the launch/retrieve routine and bought a 1986 Newport 28MKII and we really enjoy the extra space, diesel, wheel, furling, etc. Start with the C22, then upgrade in a few years. I still miss the fun of blasting around in a small boat. Check sailnet.com for reviews of boats by owners under boatcheck. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.