My last boat - probably

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
I also like "Last Call". But if you want a sailing term that means about the same thing you could go with "Favored End" (a.k.a. line bias). It is a racing term used on the starting line of a race.
That would be a great name for the last boat of a racer! I was not much of a racer - I did some distance races a few times a year, but cruising was my thing.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Maybe I will call my last boat “Bitter End”.

“Last Call” is a good name.

Greg
Agreed. “Last Call” is a good name. Reminds me there used to be a rather large boat in my harbor named “Grand Finale”.

I plan to stick with “Dalliance” as my first and last boat. Definitely don’t see going smaller than 30 feet on Lake Michigan. The name has multiple meanings; dallying, dawdling, frivolous expenditure of time and money, a euphemism for an affair.… It just seems to me like a sailboat name by every definition and for any age. Though it’s apparently a bit arcane, perhaps archaic, because many people mistakenly assume it’s the name of a woman or a flower.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
According to Uncle Google, the English to Latin translation of Last Call = Ciemus :yeah:

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
Agreed. “Last Call” is a good name. Reminds me there used to be a rather large boat in my harbor named “Grand Finale”.

I plan to stick with “Dalliance” as my first and last boat. Definitely don’t see going smaller than 30 feet on Lake Michigan. The name has multiple meanings; dallying, dawdling, frivolous expenditure of time and money, a euphemism for an affair.… It just seems to me like a sailboat name by every definition and for any age. Though it’s apparently a bit arcane, perhaps archaic, because many people mistakenly assume it’s the name of a woman or a flower.
I cruised cruised L. Mich for 25 years from Manistee to Michigan City and Lake Ontario 17 years from Hamilton to Alexandria Bay. The two lakes offer very similar challenges in terms of sea state and weather. A bit more fog on Mich. If I were still cruising I would want my old 34 back, but for me, at 75, that ship has sailed. I'm looking for a day sailor and maybe an overnighter. Maintenance on the 34 got to be too much for my stiff old bones. I'll pick my weather and enjoy serene day sails. I like being out on the water and sailing. I don't need to go anywhere anymore.

Last edited: