My last boat - probably

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
I turn 75 this coming summer. I sold my 34 pictured in my avatar. She carried me many a mile over the Great Lakes in the 14 years I owned her. Before that it was an Irwin 32, and before that a Paceship Eastwind 25. 50 years in all. I got tired of the maintenance on the 34 so I sold her. My cruising days are over as I no longer feel I have the agility to handle big seas and storms. I find I only want to go out in light air and calm seas so I bought a Marshall Sanderling 18 cat boat to see me out through the final years of my sailing career. She is a simple boat. No through hulls, an outboard so no fuel filters, no cutlass bearing, no stuffing box, no fresh water system, no head tank, no auto pilot, no frig, no hot water heater, no travel lift, no mast crane, etc. Simplicity. I'll get a slip for the season, store her in my driveway over the winter with a blue tarp covering. I think I will name her "Last Call"

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Lot's of Marshall and similar cat-boats here at our Yacht club. The group gets together for races a lot and seem to have a smile on their face about all the time. Not sure of the average age of the owners but they are not "spring chickens." I've been considering the same thing in a year or two as I am turning 73 this summer. Don't think of it as Last Call. Try "Simply Fun" or "Changes" or something along the lines of making a change in how your are doing it, not what you are doing.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Simplicity. I'll get a slip for the season, store her in my driveway over the winter with a blue tarp covering. I think I will name her "Last Call"
Trailerable boats are awesome! So underrated in my mind.

I love the name also! We are all going there one way or another.....

dj

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Very neat boat and great story. Have a great time on the water!

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
On second thought, I like "Last Call" like at your favorite watering hole. For some reason I thought you wrote "Last Chance.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Age is a number.
It is health that I see as limiting. I do not go gentle into that dark night.
I applaud your idea to sail for as long as you can. There is so much joy at being out on the water.

To sail alone or even better with friends is good mental health.

I look forward to reading about your adventures and seeing pictures of your next boat.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
On second thought, I like "Last Call" like at your favorite watering hole. For some reason I thought you wrote "Last Chance.
We winter in N Ft Myers and are planning on spending a night in Beaufort on our way north in late April. Does your Yacht Club welcome reciprocals? Any recommendations on a motel near the club?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Screw this! I've decided that I'm not getting old!
Good luck with that plan....

Reminds me of the joke: Man makes plans, God laughs"....

dj

p.s. there is of course an option where that is a certainty - I'm assuming you aren't talking taking that option...

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
@higgs, you've got a great attitude. Sail on in a maner that suits your physical and mental health. I've given up some in my physical ability, including balance, and mental ability. But I took some high school buddies out on the Flying Scot last week and we had a great time. We just reached back and forth in a 8 to 10 knot breeze reaching 5.3 knots in a totally non stressful sail. I gave the helm to all guests for at least 1/3 of the sail. I only drove in and out from the dock.
It was cool that I could make up for their poor helming with a tug or two on a sheet. While I wasn't driving, I really was. Fun day! They all had a great fun.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
@higgs, you've got a great attitude. Sail on in a maner that suits your physical and mental health. I've given up some in my physical ability, including balance, and mental ability. But I took some high school buddies out on the Flying Scot last week and we had a great time. We just reached back and forth in a 8 to 10 knot breeze reaching 5.3 knots in a totally non stressful sail. I gave the helm to all guests for at least 1/3 of the sail. I only drove in and out from the dock.
It was cool that I could make up for their poor helming with a tug or two on a sheet. While I wasn't driving, I really was. Fun day! They all had a great fun.
At our age non stressful is what is all about. We've been there done that. We have nothing to prove.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
The original post reminds me of all the reasons I chose my Mac26S. While it would be nice to have the amenities of a full-blown cruising boat, the kind of sailing I do (protected waters, fair weather) allows for a simpler, more hassle-free experience. I think if I ever tire of boat ownership I will join the local Sailaway club (pay a yearly fee, choose from a fleet of 5 or so boats).

Kudos to you, higgs, as you chart your own course!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I also like "Last Call". But if you want a sailing term that means about the same thing you could go with "Favored End" (a.k.a. line bias). It is a racing term used on the starting line of a race.