My iPad installation at the helm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA
Here are pics of my ipad install at the helm. I am using a Life Proof Nuud water tight case (camera and plug still functional) and RAM mounts that I pieced together to fit my needs. I just need to replace the c clamps around the tubing with new ones since my old ones are cracked.

Only used it once and I am pleased with it so far. I am using a couple different apps for navigation on it via the built in GPS (not using wireless). Screen resolution is a little challenging in direct sunlight but I typically have my bimini top up (the ipad is OFF in the pics).

Matt

Attachments

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
That's neat looking install!
:)
I do not recall seeing any mention of "compass safe" distance in the specs for the iPad. Not surprising given that we sailors are a tiny niche market at best....
But have you found any new card errors?

Sidebar: I just did the install of a new Lowrance HDS 9. Initially I was interested in the similar Simrad touch screen model but it violently moved the compass card when held within a couple of feet! Had to conclude that it was never intended for mounting on any sailboat (or most power boats, for that matter).
Problem is the same as most of the later Garmin's -- powerful Perm. Magnet in their little chart chip door.

It's interesting and rather challenging being a customer in a market that most instrument makers have moved away from -- except for their oblivious marketers!
:(

Loren

Status
Not open for further replies.