My hunter 140 probs !

Jun 21, 2004
- - Milwaukee, WI
IMG_20151018_131348211.jpg
IMG_20151018_131419962.jpg
IMG_20151018_131540615.jpg
Hunter140... been abused AND neglected for years.. I'm an old man who Still wants to sail it !
my ??? is I have already used fiberglass w/resin.. :( I have read 1 post where Dave said the resin will destroy the ACP.. ??? AFTER doing the repair It's already on the boat and major cracks/breaks thru out the hull were there when I started repairs.. I figured it can't get any worse.. BUT, then maybe it can ?? Some of the repairs were fixed w/devcon before I got the boat I went over them w/fiberglass.. the mast step is also fractured waiting for repair in the spring.
I also found out the hull had a lot of water inside when I got the boat home... that is now seemingly dry.. after removing drain plugs tipping way up for a week... I don't mind the work but, I HOPE it's not all a waste of time and money.. I did buy it right and all the pieces are there.

HAPPY SAILING ! ! ~~ ~ _/) ~ ~ ~
Jimmy

Jun 21, 2004
- - Milwaukee, WI
Hunter 140... Crazy Dave ! !
I'm hoping you answer my question about the fiberglass and resin I put over the Plexus repairs that I had applied before reading your post about not being able to use it w/out problems..

If in fact the hull is doomed I will part out the boat and not spend any more time on it ??
I would appreciate your answer.

Or anyone having done a similar repair w/glass and resin.
Jimmy

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Try contacting Crazy Dave via the forum email. I'm pretty sure he would have replie by now if he hadda seen your post.

Jun 21, 2004
- - Milwaukee, WI
I have looked for Dave's email but I have not been able to find it or how to contact Dave.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
You can contact anyone here (anyone willing to be contacted, anyway) by clicking on their username. A small window will pop up; click the link that says Private Message.

Jun 21, 2004
- - Milwaukee, WI
Thanks everyone for guiding me along... been a long time since I have participated in here.
I have made contact w/Crazy Dave C...
Thanks... again !

Jimmy

Jun 21, 2004
- - Milwaukee, WI
I still have not had any one say they have worked with epoxy and glass on any of the ACP hulls .. determining the long range effect on the plastic hulls ??? I'm still looking for that information.. Thanks....
Jimmy

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
I did a puncture repair on a H170 a few years ago with Devcon and then a few layers of woven fiberglass. The boat had been blown off its trailer during a storm and fell onto a cement block. The repair looked good and I had zero problems.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Hopefully you used the devcon with the glass, not resin/hardner
Of course, the resin/hardener would heat up the plastic too much and potentially cause warping...I had read up on the correct method and the woven fiberglass worked well once faired out around the edges. I'll see if I can dig up the photos. The guy who bought it couldn't find the repair job. I simply used the plastic Krylon white paint over the repair and it matched really well.

Dec 5, 2016
Hunter 140 Scappoose, Or
Did you find someone to help with the cracks in your hull? With Crazy Dave's help and my own ideas I repaired my 140 this past Winter with Plexus and fiberglass; so far the repairs have held up. I'd be happy to share my experience if you like.

mark2

Dec 10, 2012
Hunter 18 Raleigh
Likewise I have used devcon and fiberglass fabric for ACP surface repairs. It worked surprisingly well and the color matched closely enough to be almost invisible.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
learned that trick with the glass from Dave Eck who founded JY and then sold it to Hunter adding glass with the Plexsus and other products for repairing the plastic, not harder/resin.