My how Boats have changed…

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Browsing about in the archives on the San Juan’s I came across this image of the Henreitta.
1698246454890.jpeg

She was launched on 1September 1923. Built by William D. Schmuck. Launched at Dolphin Bay, Orcas Island.

Though made of new materials, faster and way more electronics on board, the overall shape of the Ranger tug, one can see the resemblance to older boats.
1698246820291.jpeg
This image of a 2014 Ranger Tug out of Port Orchard .

The idea form follows function is a principle of design associated with late 19th and early 20th century industrial design. The concept shape of an object should primarily relate to its intended function or purpose.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Back in the mod '80s I had a friend with a 36' boat almost exactly like the Henreitta. I loved the layout for a single person and it was the perfect ICW cruiser. Sipped fuel @ 8 knots and visibility from that pilothouse couldn't be beat! I've been looking for one ever since, with no luck.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
One of my favorite boats.

And here:

Last edited:

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
@capta you may find one out here in the PacificNW. It was a popular design back in the day. Likely because it worked well in the seas and weather we have here.

Henrietta was a home built, on Orcas Island.

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
Browsing about in the archives on the San Juan’s I came across this image of the Henreitta.
View attachment 220975
She was launched on 1September 1923. Built by William D. Schmuck. Launched at Dolphin Bay, Orcas Island.

Though made of new materials, faster and way more electronics on board, the overall shape of the Ranger tug, one can see the resemblance to older boats.
View attachment 220976
This image of a 2014 Ranger Tug out of Port Orchard .

The idea form follows function is a principle of design associated with late 19th and early 20th century industrial design. The concept shape of an object should primarily relate to its intended function or purpose.
Unpretentious, Husky and Overwhelmingly Practical is this Displacement Cruiser by John Atkin
With lines as doughty as her name, Great Bear represents a type of powerboat often eclipsed by a more numerous fleet of fast and sophisticated cruisers, but definitely worth the consideration of the man who prefers to do his boating at a modest and meditative pace.
Designed as a "retirement boat" for Bill Dunn of Collingswood, New Jersey and built by Clem Troth at Tuckahoe, Great Bear pokes around Barnegat Bay with dignity and economy at a cruising speed of eight knots produced by a 70-hp Barr diesel with 2:1 reduction.
Great Bear by William Atkin.jpg
This is what have looked at building for over 50 years. I love Atkin boats

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Here is one.
1971 Custom None
The Hinemoa is a custom-built wood trawler yacht built in 1971. She is a beautiful 52 foot boat in great condition. Roomy and accommodating for single or a family, with full kitchen amenities in the galley, sleeping quarters for four, entertainment center, shower and bath, and many other wonderful features. She is set up and ready for hours and hours of aquatic fun.

1698268811658.png

:biggrin:

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I guess the marketing department decided to not call it a Schmuck Boat? Sometimes the marketing guys get it right.

• Ha

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Yes she is. She is old school and not electric powered engines.
Good Thing. I learned last weekend that none of the marinas in the Salish sea are set up to charge the big battery systems that are coming. The Master at Friday Harbor, says it will be 5-10 years.