My Grand Adventure with Philter

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Nope not intimidated one bit I am a Mechanic and auto body man by trade . the only concern I have is if water got to the rings and seized them but there was no rust in the cylinders so I think im good Im going to free the valves up and put it back together . if it works great if not im only out $60 .

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
If you haven't yet go to Moyer Marines web site, all the info you need for the A-4. Many owners have had stuck valves from the engine sitting, a good dose of marvel mystery oil gets them loosened up again. On the water issue if your engine is raw water cooled and you crank the engine a lot the water lift muffler gets flooded, close the seacock while troubleshooting but be prepared to open in when it starts.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
. O and what are these ports in the bottom of the boat the whit ones one has wire going through it the other looks like a plug ill check the owners manual but I don't think its in there
One is the knot meter sensor and the other is the depth transducer. They can be removed and cleaned while the boat is in the water. The 3rd part is a plug to keep water out of your boat while you are working on them.

Ken

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Ned Yes ive been to Moyer and have the gaskets on there way and that explains why the water started coming out I will close the valve when I first start it again . Thanks ken Ill be looking into them later all of the gadges for depth and knots are gone . so I will have to locate some .

Well the head cleaned up well If I have time tomorrow I will clean the intake manifold will post pics as I put it back together .

Attachments

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Well I ordered the gaskets from Moyer and paid extra to get the gaskets to me for the weekend and this is how I got them. Who ever packed these gaskets needs to be fired. The head gaskets are unusable. Just another Grand Adventure with Philter

Attachments

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Well I ordered the gaskets from Moyer and paid extra to get the gaskets to me for the weekend and this is how I got them. Who ever packed these gaskets needs to be fired. The head gaskets are unusable. Just another Grand Adventure with Philter
Definitely packed by a mental midget.

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Ya know after looking at the order the gaskets are in in the box I don't think it was Moyers falt I think UPS mestup and tried to get away with it . will wate on moyer to answer my email they didn't answer the phone.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I'm confused. Are they bent (folded), or have they taken an impact? If they weren't packed flat, to minimize bending, how would UPS have had anything to do with their current condition?

On the other hand, if this was (potentially) impact damage, what does shipping carton look like? Is there any damage to the box?

If you REALLY think it's a shipper issue, why are you starting with Moyer, while disparaging UPS? Disclaimer - I am not at all a fan of UPS, and have no connection to them, but something just doesn't add up here.

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Red deer, Alberta
Leblanc, good for you that you are taking on a nice project like that, I wish I had something like that to tinker with, the wiring does scare me a bit.
Great to resurrect something gross and ugly to new again.
Good luck, keep us posted with the whole outcome of your project.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Sometimes you can free a stuck valve on the A4 through the valve cover - i.e. behind the exhaust manifold. Or just by hitting it through the spark plug hole.

Those pics of wiring are terrifying - no boat should ever have wirenuts anywhere. Maine Sail's site (compassmarine.com) is a great resource for all things boat related.

Good luck with your restoration, it's fun to watch boats come back from neglect.

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Thanks for the encouragement. jeepbluetj and Karyon

jeep I think we have been through this but are you jeeple?

SF yes the box looks damaged to me. The box was to small and the order off the gaskets that are in the box is not correct to me .the order they are in is head gasket piece of bubble rape ,intake gasket, head gasket, piece of cord board the head gasket is suppose to be taped to than another piece of cord board the gasket is suppose to be taped to or sandwiched between you can even see the outline of the head gaskets on the pieces of cord board so I know they were between the two pieces at one point in time and the small gaskets in an envelope at the bottom of the box. also the box is to small for the gaskets to lay flat in. They need to be on an angle to fit in the box. Ive built many engines and the gaskets always come in a box long enough for the head gaskets to lay flat on the bottom. the head gaskets are usually taped to a piece of cord board one on top the other to keep them flat I could send you pics of what im talking about if you like I have quite a few of boxes from all the engines I have built . I did get in touch with Moyer today and he is sending me some more gaskets . So all is well.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Nope, I'm not jeeple. My moniker is from the days when I was a very active off-roader. The TJ is now pretty much my kid's vehicle.

Moyer will make it right, they're good people. They replaced a waterpump for me just a month or so ago.

Yup, My c-30 is A-4 powered.

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Progress at last! Took the valves out wire brushed them and wire brushed the valve guide . dropped the valves back in ,put the head back on, manifold, distributor and alternator . and she fired right up. I forgot to set the clearance on one of the lifters but I think I can get to it with everything on . will tackle that next week. also bought a wall outlet with two usb ports cause my phone was going dead and installed it in the v berth. Finally got a wet dry vac that was strong enough to clean the bilge.

Attachments

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I would do an oil change immediately. Maybe two. Reasons being I see a powered rotary wire brush and four cylinders full of remnants of wire brushing. I'm sure you "cleaned" all that out but I would hazard a guess that not all of it could be cleaned out especially, the stuff sitting on top of the ring. And, there are particles down to dust size due to the wire brushing. When I had one of my heads off this last spring, I stuffed a small blown up party balloon into the cylinder and misted the circumference with WD-40 and then scraped the jacket with a sharpened scraper with the corners rounded and took my time. Then I used some white scotch brite with gasket remover by hand. Pulled the balloon and wiped the walls down. I wanted "0" dust in the cylinder.....just a suggestion

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Just took my time and scraped with a razor blade than vacuumed than wire brushed than vacuumed that's it any dust will burn up with the first combustions stroke in each cylinder. besides the valve clattering that I forgot to adjust it sounded like a sewing machine.

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
I have been working on the boat. finally got my friend out there to do some wood work but got a long way to go . installed a solar vent in the head . went to the Boat show in St Petersburg learned more stuff to get me in trouble and got to sail a 2017 Beneteau Oceanis 41.1 . bought a LP stove ,a main sail, some lines, O and all the running rigging i ordered came in . So I will be busy the next coming weeks on the boat. might even take it out on the lake if I can get the rigging up and working sat.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I hope you do get out on it - you could probably use a bit of carrot to go with the stick of all the work you are doing. The Ranger 33 is a good sailing boat you'll enjoy sailing. A taste of that will motivate you.

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Had a chance to go to the boat sat and Sunday but weather was horrible . so I just did some more cleaning got the lights in the head and v berth working . A big cold front came through wile on the boat. wind howling the boat was listing but the little heater I picked up at home depot worked great. wind chill was in the low 30s and I was in shorts inside the boat . It was another grand adventure with filter