My Grand Adventure with Philter

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
I had started this thread in the ask a Hunter owner because I was originally getting a Hunter. But I was on craigs list and came across a boat that was a little less work and in a slip. the marina has a pool so my kids will not be board when im working on the boat and there is a boat show in the area once a year that I was told is a must see for any boat enthusiast . So I bought a Ranger 33 . $700 less than the Hunter and almost ready to sail. the boat could use a bottom job. engine needs a tune up , a fresh battery bank and wiring , and all lines need changing will be posting my progress here .And for those that cant read but like pictures I will post as many as I can during my restoration. here are a few to get you started

Attachments

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Thanks for the pictures. I never did learn to read.

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Worked on the Motor today , its an Atomic 4 , got it running some what . the fuel pump is not pumping wile its running and it looks like the wiring is not correct So I just printed the diagram and will go back sat and straighten it out. will need to get the shore power going also and put the A/C in the hatch. it will make working on the motor a little more enjoyable. also grabbed a little cleaner and looks like all the dirt and mold will come up fine. Just will take a little elbow grease.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Ha ha

like the name

as a project you can temporarily change the name to

ça va être bien

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Believe it or not that was one of the deciding factors. My Dad came and looked at the boat with me and he speaks fluent Cajun French . I can t speak a bit of it so he told me what it said .

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Believe it or not that was one of the deciding factors. My Dad came and looked at the boat with me and he speaks fluent Cajun French . I can t speak a bit of it so he told me what it said .
Haha ha

You just reminded me of something that happened a long time ago. Both of my parents are Cajun and I grew up spending my summers "at home" but winters in the mid-west. So I grew up "bi-lingual" in a manner of speaking... <wink>. First time I took my betrothed to meet the extended family, we pulled off of I-10 in Lafayette and stopped at a dépanneur for some gas and a coke.... my wife followed me in. After paying, chatting with the clerk and getting back into the car, my wife said... "I didn't know your French was that good" to which I replied "That wasn't French" :laugh:

Needless to say, it took a while before my wife could understand anyone from my side of the family.

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Took the carb apart and it was full of sand or rust or rusty sand either way I cleaned it in real carb cleaner for a few hours and put it back together . the fuel pump is working fine its the wiring that is not correct. so I hooked a good hot wire to the pump and a pumping she went , pumped so good it pumped gas all over the shoal . The hose fell out the bucket when I wasn't looking. So I attached the hose to the carb and she fired rite up. only ran for a few min than died think it flooded out will get some new spark plugs for sat. I need to bring some wire and redo the engine wire harness every wire is red and it looks like a rats nest. also I am going to bring some wire to redo the wall outlets and run an A/C unit wile im working . 100 degree weather will get to you .

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I know you've been working on her, I love to see how other peoples restorations progress. Can you post more pictures please?

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Very productive day didn't get the motor running didn't even try to, I wanted the A/C working so I went to work on the wiring. all the wiring needs replacing started to ohm the shore power wiring and every wire was bad. I had some wire in my truck and just ran the shore power plug to the breaker than to the wall out lit in the V berth hooked the shore power extension cord flipped the breaker and I had the A/C going. Now that I can work in the boat comfortably I had to get rid of all the water stains mildew and make the boat smell and feel a little cleaner. Threw three garbage bags of junk out that was left on the boat. sopping wet lines, wires, wood ,material that was attached to the walls etc . I took 5 gallons of water with degreaser scrubbing and three rags all day to get her some what clean. my youngest son helped wile the other fished off the back of the boat. Still have the Vberth bathroom and all the cubby holes and compartments to clean but here are a few before and after pics

Attachments

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Wow, lots of work. It sounds like you are getting after it though.
Often I find working on the boat is just good therapy for me. It helps that I can focus on something I can do something about. A boat is like a small business, you can't really count your hours, but in the end you will have something you can certainly be proud of.

Ken

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Ken I like playing Billiards for that same reason . I can control where the cue ball goes . The boat on the other hand is my escape from the repetitious work I do and an escape for a short wile from every day responsibilities . Kind of like camping in an RV but im on the water.

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Went to work on Philter today wile cranking the motor I think I heard the petronics pop. I think im going to find the points and condenser for it and get a new coil I never did like petronics even on hotrods they were so problematic. O and what are these ports in the bottom of the boat the whit ones one has wire going through it the other looks like a plug ill check the owners manual but I don't think its in there

Attachments

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Its like my birthday today. The mail came and brought me a bilge pump some hardware for the Bimini poles and the material for the Bimini, a Magma Grill, and a friend gave me some cushions he was going to through away and they are the color I wa. was thinking of. I was going to copy the interior of the Friendship 40 if you are not familiar with the boat look it up very pretty boat.

Attachments

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Put the cushions in today will need to make back cushions. also installed the Bimini top should have taken a pic but I forgot . also put the bilge pump in . did not think it was that deep. lots of sludge in the bottom . tried sucking it out but need a better wet dry vac. will be back all weekend next weekend hopefully I can get a bunch done. things on the weekend list will be wiring AC and DC bow and stern light. get motor running , clean bilge, check fresh water pump, and if everything goes well will be taking her out Sunday for a sail.

Attachments

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Stayed on the boat this weekend . You never get done what you want to do and you always over look something you should have thought about. But I did get some things done. There was a deck drain that was broken and rain water could just pore in so I replaced it . last night I realized I need light to move around at night so I fixed the shore power interior lighting and replaced a wall socket with a GFI type, pulled the electrical panel mounting out because its all rotted to make a new with plexi glass. and corrected some house bank wire issues. cleaned the Vberth . I did get to capture one of those pretty sun rises from the cockpit

Attachments

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
finally got out to Philter today. and just concentrated on the Atomic 4 . put a fresh set of points and condenser in went to start it and no go . she just sputtered . double checked all connections and fuel no go . so I pulled out the compression gauge . Number one 90 psi great ,number two o psi, number 3 70 psi, number 4 0 psi. wile I was spinning it over for number 4 water sprayed me in the face from 2 than I pulled the gauge out of 4 and water in 4 also. closed the water pump valve took the head off and #2&4 exhaust valves are stuck open . looks like Im doing a valve job. Had a video of the water spraying out but don't know how to post it .

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Sorry to hear of this delay. You don't sound too intimidated by this job so good luck.