My Grand Adventure With Philter

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
I said I was going to start this thread when I picked up the boat but I am working on boat stuff to get it to my house like fixing the trailer, so I figured I would start the thread sooner. trailers are right around 2500-6000 depending on ware you go and if its used or new. I picked up on a raggedy used trailer for $400 owner said it could hold 10-1200 thousand pounds . get it home and the brakes are shot master cylinder is frozen and im sure the wheel cylinders are also. started pricing the brake parts and just the parts to fix the master cylinder setup was going to be around $345 than I would have to weld the new coupler on and buy brake lines ,wheel cylinders, and possibly shoes, brake shoe setups are $91 each and brake lines are right around $100 so im looking at $809 before shipping and tax. than I thought how much would it be to convert to electric brakes . All i need is the backing plate setups and the wires with plug to go to the tong no master cylinder setup needed. turns out my brake drums will work with the electric brakes. but the backing plates with shoes and actuators at the local trailer shop was $89 each. im back up to $356 so I start digging and found backing plate assemblies to fit my axles for $35 each that's $140 , the wires and plug for the brakes are $60 for those not paying attention a $609 dollar savings so far. now I have some money to have the trailer blasted and painted. ill post some pics as I go as soon as I get the new backing plates in.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
I like electric brakes better. The two boat trailers I've owned both had frozen cylinders when I got them. I converted both to electric cheaper that I could have repaired the hydraulic. What I really like though is you can engage the trailer brakes without applying the vehicle brakes. This will force the trailer back in line of it starts to sway, and I've had to go that on occasion. You can't do that with surge brakes

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Got the brakes in cant work on the trailer it raining and suppose to rain all week so brakes will have to wait. I was going to post some pics but for some reason I cant get them to post .

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Ships log
Brought the trailer to blaster today. Blaster is going to blast and paint the trailer, he said 1-2 weeks . that will give me time to make some pads for the stands . I think I will go and pay the guy for the boat, he said I will have 4 months to move it once I pay him . Its been raining here lately so I know the boat has been filling with water again . I need to make a new front hatch cover. The Plexiglas has broken and the companion way cover is gone also one of the side windows is broken .I can work on those wile I am waiting on the trailer . My uncle had some old 1/4 " tinted Plexiglas in his garage and said I could have it all so I grabbed every bit . Almost a 4x8 sheet if I add it all up. That stuff is not cheap.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
When you purchase an old trailer, expect anything to be done to it but one thing is to check all the welds. You did not mention if this was a power boat trailer or not. If so, then you will need to be cautious not to use an axle to rest the keel tray on like some doe doe birds did and I would have adjustable bunk supports so you can adjust them to the hull. Make sure that 10% of the total weight for safety will be on the tongue or hitch.

As for electrical vs. hydraulic, I had both as a dealer. Electric presented more issues going into the water but hydraulic, no electrical current to be concerned about. With anything, you have to maintain the trailer regardless of brake type being used. So a few precautions. First buddy bearings or equivalent being greased on a regular basis. Stop after 20 miles leaving for a trip and check tie downs and feel the hubs that they are not hot. Stop every 100 miles and again check. Make sure your tires are fully inflated and do that when cold. Never overfill. If you forget and they are low on air pressure, heat builds up fast and tires will blow. Check lights to see if working as well. I personally was an advocate of hydraulic brakes

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
SO here is the boat I had to go get some numbers off the boat to get the paper work straight. had a little water in the bilge and used my jeep battery to get the pump started once the pump was flowing I let gravity do the rest.

Attachments

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Had a little snag in my plans but im back on track . traded one of my toys for a Harley because I think I can get more for the bike than the van I traded I had to do some work to the van before it left. and it put me behind.

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
More delays had a bike accident bike is fine but my rotator cuff is torn bed ridden a few days . I can finally move my arm in all directions again .

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Worked on the trailer some more this morning I have to widen where the keel goes Theres only 6 in and I need 12 . so Im cutting some out . and also I am going to make the trailer so I can remove one or two of the braces to be able to back under the boat.

Attachments

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Picked up this wheel for the boat for $25 cause the one on it is bent . As long as it doesn't rain I will be able to finish up the trailer this Monday. Than it will be getting a permit to move it to the house. Got a feeling things are are going to start moving fast with the boat. Cant wait to get her here.

Attachments

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Just my luck I have off today and cant work on the trailer because it is raining 80% all day . I really wanted to finish the trailer today.

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Well it looks like the boat is not going to be a hunter had a spur of the moment buy and bought a Ranger 33 it was cheaper then the hunter and way less work to do . How can I move this to the all sailors forum.