my first trip

Oct 29, 2014
O'Day O'Day 25 Still water
a few of you helped me out last year when i was looking for a boat and making plans.
here's a link to the thread: http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/where-should-i-spend-my-summer.167585/

here's my video!

besides only making it to saint louis a wheel flew off the trailer hauling it back. the boat is still in MO. i plan on picking it up next week, getting it on a lake for the summer so i can learn how to sail it better, then taking off back down the river next fall. next time i'm not stopping until i reach the sea.

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
Nice to see that you made the trip. I find that the trailer gives me more trouble than the boat.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Good job. Nice video.

I did a small video of my last cruise also. Hopefully I will get better weather for the next cruise because the 25 knot winds kept me in the Potomac River. I was planning to sail to Smith Island and Tangier Island in the Chesapeake Bay.

If you are ever looking for some good cruising grounds try the Chesapeake Bay. Tons of places to stop, good sailing, and unique places.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I watched your video again. Very inspiring. I loved the Tikki torches..... nice touch. Bad Obsession is correct about the Chesapeake Bay.... I've done the trip he was planning and it is worth doing...and I would add the Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds as very awesome sailing ground. Actually I'm very much disposed to the sounds.... very natural and untamed shorelines. It is common to go all day and see only one other boat. I'm not video savvy like you... but I did write up two of my adventures in the Pamlico... see attached.

Attachments

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Looks like a fun trip. I never get good video of us sailing since I am always using my phone below decks for Pandora while we sail. I need to have my son bring his Go-Pro the next time he sails with us.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Well that's about 1000 times better a sailing video than I have ever made.

And you said you were going to buy a boat and sail down the Mississippi. I pointed you at that trusty old o'day and you just went and did it.

RESPECT.

Oct 29, 2014

And you said you were going to buy a boat and sail down the Mississippi. I pointed you at that trusty old o'day and you just went and did it.

RESPECT.

RESPECT.

Thanks, and yes. I'm glad you pointed me in that direction. It was the perfect size for what I was doing.

Oct 29, 2014
I watched your video again. Very inspiring. I loved the Tikki torches..... nice touch. Bad Obsession is correct about the Chesapeake Bay.... I've done the trip he was planning and it is worth doing...and I would add the Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds as very awesome sailing ground. Actually I'm very much disposed to the sounds.... very natural and untamed shorelines. It is common to go all day and see only one other boat. I'm not video savvy like you... but I did write up two of my adventures in the Pamlico... see attached.
Good read! I would like to put together something like that as well. However, now that I'm back on land for the winter I don't have add much free time.

May 23, 2004
The point about the sounds is a good one. They can be somewhat protected or, like the lower Bay, seem very open. Another good area in the Chesapeake Bay to cruise would be to go out of Annapolis or the Rhode River. You could sail over to Saint Michaels and a few other places.

The Choptank River is also nice. You can backdoor St. Michaels from San Domingo Creek, there is also Oxford, and Cainbridge in that area. Definitely worth a look.

Take a look at Active Captain. It can help you plan your trips. It gives you charts and different views of an area as well as well as reviews of marinas etc.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I'm going to second Bad Obsession one more time... Active Captain is the FIRST thing I look at when considering a new adventure.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Nice video, nice trip, nice canoe! :)

This summer, get a vang for the mainsail.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Wow, that's a great video! I just ordered 2 GoPro knockoffs that get good reviews for using on my Force 5 next season. I can see I'm really going to have to step up in the editing department!

My only question is: back in my 20's, why the hell didn't I buy an old boat like that and go on adventures? Bummer for me!

If you haven't seen them, you should look for White Spot Pirates and SV Delos on YouTube. Keep making cool videos like that, and you could use them to sponsor more adventures!

You guys should rig the vang and run at least one reefing line on the main...

May 23, 2004
I shot my video with the SJCAM 4000 (GoPro knockoff). It is a nice camera and comes with a lot of mounts. Editing isn't really bad. I used Windows Movie Maker and it works well for basic editing.

I am going to attempt to shoot more video next season for some of my trips. Part of me feels that shooting a lot of video and posting it is somewhat narcissistic. I also don't like appearing on camera.

I miss my old Force 5. That boat was so much fun and it was fast. I had mine out in the Chesapeake Bay off of Hampton one day in 25 knots of wind and big waves. When I started going down wind it was pure adrenaline! The boat practically had a rooster tail.

Back to some original comments, I second the need for reefing lines. A vang is also nice and it is easy to rig. I would also suggest a preventer of some sort if you are going downwind for a while. Part of being safe is being prepared and avoiding issues.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Cool, Bad Ob, I ordered SJ4000's! Hella cheaper than a GoPro, something like $70 each. I got 1080p, what do I need 4K video for, I only have a 720p TV anyway :D It's nice when the new shiny thing makes the old shiny thing cheaper! What I'm going to hate the most when I do some video is trying to recognize who the fat guy is sailing my boat! Never felt a need to get them before, because there's not a lot of excitement sailing an O'day 192, except for that time a gust heeled me enough to take on water over top of the cockpit coaming. :yikes: I got the Force 5 because I needed an easy to rig go-fast boat, with minimal penalty for laying her down. Black Friday shakedown sail in 13 knots? Planing was no problem, but I tried a very messy gybe, and I went swimming :doh: :clap::clap: Good thing for drysuits, the water is quite chilly now. :yeah: