My design for a mast raising system

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
After studying many different designs I came up with my own. My goal was to design something that was stable, universal (or easily adaptable), relatively fast to setup and can be built with standard tools in an afternoon. Feedback is encouraged.

Gin Pole
The image below is designed to start/end with the mast laying aft. It wouldn't be hard to reverse it. The angle of the gin poles would be 90 degrees in relation to the mast but it was easier to show it this way. The X that is formed by those poles "catches" the winch/halyard line at the appropriate time. In addition, I've also put a safety cable on my design to ensure disaster wont strike should it slip against the line
System.jpg

Sidestays
A steel pipe is used to move the pivot point to the same height as the mast step. Chains or line is used to stabilize it. A pipe flange with padding/carpet on the bottom is used to protect the deck and chainplates. The ID of the pipe should be larger than the chainplate. The gin poles are made of conduit with the bottom ends flattened. The mounting holes should be over sized to accommodate various angles. In addition, sway bar links are used to secure them to the steel pipe. This keeps everything secure while still allowing the angles to change throughout the stepping process. A pipe elbow on top of the pipe that has been cut open could reduce the likelyhood of leaving kinks in the sidestays.
Side stay 2.jpg

side stay.jpg
sidestay 3.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2009
Pearson P-31 Quantico
What function does the chain have? The winnch is not going anyplace, right? So, why do we need a tension member?

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
You can make the mast raising easier and safer with a gin pole and two lines from the end to the chain plate triangle .If you need photos just ask.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
You can make the mast raising easier and safer with a gin pole and two lines from the end to the chain plate triangle .If you need photos just ask.
I'd love to see a photo! :biggrin: Somewhere I have the document from O'Day with info on the mast raising system. I've been meaning to upload it

What function does the chain have? The winnch is not going anyplace, right? So, why do we need a tension member?
The short pieces of pipe and chain moves the "pivot point" of the sidestays to the same height as the mast step. This keeps the side stays from going slack as the mast is lowered. The chain helps keep the pipe in the proper place and helps to keep it from rotating. I think my version of this design will use ratchet straps instead of chain so they can be adjusted while stepping if needed. I also will most likely have a strap on the "back" side of the pipe for piece of mind. One other thought is that securing the chain/strap to the bow may not be the best place. A better place might be a cleat or stanchion. I believe this is one of those scenarios that really just needs to be tested to find out what works best.