My best offshore blue water cruise part 2

Jun 26, 2014
Wind, sails, tiller pilot, and sailboat are steady for days on end, i'm very happy temps about 80 degrees day and night, I know now what sailing is all about, no sighting better, Wind lightens we pull up the reacher she sails with pleasure, one crystal clear night i come out for my watch, some light seems to come me i duck and realize the sky is full of shooting stars i laugh at my self with happiness. 7 days on one tack with steady winds could not get better. Blue water to see but every day is different,We arrive at planned harbor at night very dark night using the g.p.s. as we came to the marina entrance, someone in the dark speaks out "Welcome to our marina" 10 day cruise one of my best. Years earlier i started crewing on offshore sailboats as Navigator

Nov 17, 2017
Self-Built 8 Mariner's Island
How do you, and can you, prepare for the worst?

Many examples in All Is Lost (2013) survival at sea drama film with Robert Redford.

Water floods his boat while asleep; collided with a wayward shipping container; ripped a hole in the hull. Tilts the boat away from the hole. Patches the hole. Uses the manual bilge pump to remove water from the cabin. Navigational and communications systems damaged by saltwater intrusion. Unsuccessful attempt to repair the marine radio. Climbs the mast to repair an antenna lead; sees an oncoming tropical storm. Runs before the wind to bring the boat into a hove-to position, but crawling to the bow to hoist the storm jib, he is thrown overboard. Regains the deck after a long struggle. The boat capsizes, turtles after a further 180-degree roll, dis-masted, and most of the equipment is destroyed. Boat sinking, abandons ship in an inflatable life raft, salvaging whatever he can to survive. Learns to operate a sextant, discovers he is being pulled towards a major shipping lane by ocean currents. Survives another storm but his supplies dwindle. Learns too late that his drinking water has been contaminated with sea water. Improvises a solar still from his water container and a plastic bag. Passed by two container ships, which do not see him, despite his use of all the signal flares. Drifts out of the shipping lane with no food and water. On the eighth day, writes a letter, puts it in a jar, and throws it in the water. Sees a light in the distance, tears pages from his journal along with charts to create a signal fire. Fire grows out of control and consumes his raft. Falls into the water and allows himself to sink. Underwater, he sees the hull of a boat with a search light approaching his burning raft. He swims up towards the surface to grasp an outstretched hand.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Wind, sails, tiller pilot, and sailboat are steady for days on end, i'm very happy temps about 80 degrees day and night, I know now what sailing is all about, no sighting better, Wind lightens we pull up the reacher she sails with pleasure, one crystal clear night i come out for my watch, some light seems to come me i duck and realize the sky is full of shooting stars i laugh at my self with happiness. 7 days on one tack with steady winds could not get better. Blue water to see but every day is different,We arrive at planned harbor at night very dark night using the g.p.s. as we came to the marina entrance, someone in the dark speaks out "Welcome to our marina" 10 day cruise one of my best. Years earlier i started crewing on offshore sailboats as Navigator
Sounds like you had the perfect weather window..... where?

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
How do you, and can you, prepare for the worst?

Many examples in All Is Lost (2013) survival at sea drama film with Robert Redford.

Water floods his boat while asleep; collided with a wayward shipping container; ripped a hole in the hull. Tilts the boat away from the hole. Patches the hole. Uses the manual bilge pump to remove water from the cabin. Navigational and communications systems damaged by saltwater intrusion. Unsuccessful attempt to repair the marine radio. Climbs the mast to repair an antenna lead; sees an oncoming tropical storm. Runs before the wind to bring the boat into a hove-to position, but crawling to the bow to hoist the storm jib, he is thrown overboard. Regains the deck after a long struggle. The boat capsizes, turtles after a further 180-degree roll, dis-masted, and most of the equipment is destroyed. Boat sinking, abandons ship in an inflatable life raft, salvaging whatever he can to survive. Learns to operate a sextant, discovers he is being pulled towards a major shipping lane by ocean currents. Survives another storm but his supplies dwindle. Learns too late that his drinking water has been contaminated with sea water. Improvises a solar still from his water container and a plastic bag. Passed by two container ships, which do not see him, despite his use of all the signal flares. Drifts out of the shipping lane with no food and water. On the eighth day, writes a letter, puts it in a jar, and throws it in the water. Sees a light in the distance, tears pages from his journal along with charts to create a signal fire. Fire grows out of control and consumes his raft. Falls into the water and allows himself to sink. Underwater, he sees the hull of a boat with a search light approaching his burning raft. He swims up towards the surface to grasp an outstretched hand.
Curious John, you should forget you ever saw All Is Lost. It’s the stupidest movie I ever saw.
Correction, it’s the stupidest movie I ever didn’t see because I turned it off within the first half hour. Redford over-acted dumber than a brick, and anybody who puts to sea should have more knowledge and preparation than he did. He didn’t even react with appropriate haste or take appropriate timely actions when his boat got holed. I turned it off when he first stepped out onto the container. From the part that I watched I would rename the movie “All is Contrived“. Or maybe “Redford is All Washed Up”.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Am, I the only one finds it strange that “Curious John” joined the forum yesterday, posted the exact same synopsis of the movie 8 times in threads mentioning blue water sailing.
I thought the same thing. 8 identical posts in about 10 minutes and hasn’t been seen since. Curious indeed.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I have a selection of Gilligan's Island DVDs just for that purpose.
I think that series should be required viewing for all sailors. It's not about the salesmanship but about how to pick your crew.
-Will (Dragonfly)

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Am, I the only one finds it strange that “Curious John” joined the forum yesterday, posted the exact same synopsis of the movie 8 times in threads mentioning blue water sailing.
A mod is looking into it.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I have looked into this person and his credentials are good. However, because he posted the same comments in 8 threads he was tagged with a warning. 5 of the comments were deleted. The 3 remaining were not because we have a policy not to delete posts that were commented on unless they grossly violate the rules. In this case, his post was just obnoxious. We will keep an eye open. Thanks for heads up @SFS!

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Curious John, you should forget you ever saw All Is Lost. It’s the stupidest movie I ever saw.
Correction, it’s the stupidest movie I ever didn’t see because I turned it off within the first half hour. Redford over-acted dumber than a brick, and anybody who puts to sea should have more knowledge and preparation than he did. He didn’t even react with appropriate haste or take appropriate timely actions when his boat got holed. I turned it off when he first stepped out onto the container. From the part that I watched I would rename the movie “All is Contrived“. Or maybe “Redford is All Washed Up”.
Couldn’t have said it better......

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
one crystal clear night i come out for my watch, some light seems to come me i duck and realize the sky is full of shooting stars i laugh at my self with happiness.
I once had a similar experience halfway between Bermuda and the Azores. It wasn't stars though. Standing 2am watch I heard an approaching hissing sound like something small moving, very fast towards us from starboard by propeller without the sound of a motor.
I looked and could see a bright column of phosphorescence reaching straight towards the boat and I thought some military submarine has decided to use us for target practice. A torpedo was racing straight for us. I relaxed and laughed out loud when I realized it was a dolphin coming over to play in our wake. He sure moved fast and the phosphorescent glow was really bright. Quite beautiful once I knew it wasn't going to explode. Ha ha ha :shhh:!
My favorite watch is the dawn watch. I love the color as the stars start to disappear.
- Will (Dragonfly)