My 40' longwire works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I finally put up the longwire at home. It is only a few feet off the ground (maybe 8 feet or so) and has a buried radial. But I am hearing a lot of stations and working a few.

The antenna is fed with RG8x into an isolator and 4:1 UNUN. The length of the radial is 34 feet. Weird numbers, I know, but it works. Whoot! I can tune all bands except 12 meters. Might have to play around with that and also try and get the antenna a little higher.

I have room to lengthen and/or shorten depending on how I want to work it. I think my maximum length for the boat will be 35~37 feet. The antenna is pointing at 20 degrees. Not sure of the radiation pattern. Will have to see where the strongest signals are. Should be fun. Whoot!

Oct 6, 2009
Custom Bluehull Kennesaw, Ga.
Cool, sometime things just work. I'm running a 137' buckmaster long wire setup North & South. I hear your part of the world from time to time.

73's KD4LZL :dance:

Feb 17, 2006
I just worked LA4UOA on 18152 kHz. So I guess I am doing OK. The Maritime Mobile Net was not even on today. Well, I could hear nothing at all on 14300 kHz. The other day is was banging in here really nicely. Maybe tomorrow. Who knows. LOL

Feb 17, 2006
I have removed my old counterpoise and put in a 20m and 10m counterpoise. Let me lay out a new 40m counterpoise and give that net a listen (if I can hear it our here). With the 40m counterpoise I should be able to get rid of the other two, but I think I will keep them.

Status
Not open for further replies.