Music on board

Aug 8, 2006
Catalina 34 Naples FL
Being an old school sailor i never installed a sound system in any of my boats,not wanting to drain the batteries. I always carry a waterproof battery boom box of sorts. I currently use a sony with a cd, radio and cassette system. ( great sound but bulky ) I know it is old school now so i am looking into using my iphone and ipod and purchasing a bluetooth speaker. Currently looking at the jambox and the bose mini. Anyone else using something they especially like?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Being an old school sailor i never installed a sound system in any of my boats,not wanting to drain the batteries. I always carry a waterproof battery boom box of sorts. I currently use a sony with a cd, radio and cassette system. ( great sound but bulky ) I know it is old school now so i am looking into using my iphone and ipod and purchasing a bluetooth speaker. Currently looking at the jambox and the bose mini. Anyone else using something they especially like?
if you don't keep the iphone plugged in to 12v charger you will find that the iphone is a power hog just like when you use the anchor alarm app.....

Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 30 Ithaca
Last year I picked up a pair of the Jam speakers at Best Buy. Got them for a few reasons. One was the small form factor. They are so small and easy to store pretty much anywhere onBoard. Another reason was the price. And the third reason was the fact that you can play them in a stereo mode, which I thought would be great. I was amazed at the sound and the amount of volume that could be produced from them. Although I rarely turned them up as I live onboard in the marina on the weekends and despise it when neighbors blast their music with no concern for others around them. Am sure there may be higher quality speakers, but these worked great for me. Oh yeah,because I live in upstate NY, out of the local Boston radio reception area, I purchased the MLB app and was able to spend many a delightful summers evening listening to the Red Sox make their way to a World Championship! Highly recommend an iPhone, or some other devise, and these small Bluetooth speakers.....

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Take your music source with you when you shop. Listen to music that you know how it is supposed to sound. That's how concert sound guys start their setups.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I use a mini Jambox almost every day when working on customer boats. I beat on it pretty bad and have only broken two so far. It is often tossed in a bag with tools at the end of a day. The sound is marginal but works, especially for the size. We still prefer a wired stereo on board... The bigger blue tooth speakers sound better...

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I got tired of messing with boomboxes. I just installed an inexpensive Clarion in my cabin. It has a cd player, front usb port and bluetooth. I have removable boxed speakers mounted on the bulkhead. I can set them up on the deck at anchor if I want.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
We have tried almost every alternative and are most happy with an AM/FM/CD/AUX Sony automotive type radio permanently installed in the cabin. We paired it with two small Bose speakers inside the cabin and two waterproof speakers installed in the cockpit. The volume among them is controlled by the Speaker Balance function. The cost of such a system compares favorably with the wifi mini speakers being sold today. We like it because there is nothing to carry or set up and we can have music rain or shine. Unless the CD player is being used the power consumption is minimal. We actually most use it in conjunction with an MP3 player through the auxiliary input. We find that the bigger 4 1/2 inch speakers in the cockpit carry sound better than the small mini speakers which seem to get lost in an open cockpit when underway. As an added feature the radio came with a small push button remote control and the unit can be operated from the cockpit.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I currently use the Jambox. I find it's pretty good in the cabin, and sitting on the hook in the cockpit. It doesn't do very well underway, as bass will distort if you turn it up too loud, eg. when trying to hear it in the cockpit while sailing. I have heard the Big Jambox, and it sounds great, and should be plenty loud, but it is significantly bigger. I have already broken one Jambox because sometimes I connect it to an older iPod Classic using an auxiliary 1/8" mini stereo plug. Apparently, these little Jamboxes have a pretty significant weakness in the aux input plug. When you have your phone connected via Bluetooth, you will not hear music from the phone if a 1/8" stereo plug is connected to the Jambox, though you will still hear phone functions like ringing and such. Once the input jack is broken, you will never hear music from the phone Bluetooth connection, though you will still hear phone functions. I looked it up on the interwebs, and it seems relatively common. I had purchased this Jambox from Amazon, and it was fulfilled by one of their partners. So when I called Jawbone, they told me they would not warranty it, because it was not purchased from an authorized reseller. I nearly lost it. What a STOOPID thing to tell a customer - it completely erodes confidence in the brand. I don't care where it came from, you should support your damn product! I escalated to a supervisor, and they did replace the unit for me. I'm hoping the jack doesn't break again...

I picked up a Pyle Bluetooth speaker last year, because it was only $40, and was supposed to be splash resistant. I used it during a water war to play Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries on eternal loop, you know, to frighten the competition. :D It's like this light blue rubberized thing, a little bigger than the Jambox. And it doesn't sound as good. So it will probably be given to one of the kids.

I heard about the Eton Rugged Rukus. It's a rubberized, splash resistant Bluetooth speaker that includes a solar panel for charging. You can also plug a phone into it via USB to charge the phone. I haven't heard it yet, so I'm really not sure how it will sound. I ordered it, and I'm hoping for it to arrive in the mail within the next day or two, to be ready for use on the first raft up of the season on Saturday. I'll report back once I've heard it. I really hope it sounds as good as or better than the Jambox.

I was in Best Buy, and there was a JBL cylinder shaped Bluetooth speaker, comes in black and red, or white and grey, or some such. It sounded pretty good from what I heard, but I think it's supposed to be placed on a table on its round end, sticking up, as opposed to laying on its side. Unfortunately, I think that would be a horrible form factor for a boat.

I have no need for a radio, or CD player. Which is kind of a shame, as I have probably 1000 CDs that never get played anymore, as they are all stored in my computer as MP3s or AAC. They used to all fit on a 160GB iPod Classic, but now the library is too big to bring everything with me. No matter, I have software called Subsonic which streams my whole library from the home computer. There is an iPhone app called iSub Streamer, that allows me to play my Subsonic server on the phone over cellular data. It's not as convenient, because making playlists is more difficult, but if I know I want to listen to an album or band, but I don't have on my iPod, I can still stream from the phone.

Feb 9, 2008
Catalina 22 Long Beach Harbor, MS
I have the ecoxgear ecoxbt http://ecoxgear.com/ecoxbt/. Waterproof (not gonna test this in salt water!). I love it. Great reviews for sound quality and loudness.

Second the Subsonic software. I can access my entire computer library, and it converts my native flac files on the fly to mp3 to stream. Still prefer the sound of flac. Line in with old iRiver H100 for best sound quality. mp3 is the worst quality music format we have ever encountered to date.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
I don't have many downloaded songs (apart from my mp3 player I use at the gym). So I prefer an XM satellite radio boom box. The radio cost about $150 and the subscription is about $7.00 per month. The boom box can use batteries but I substituted the AC adapter for a 12 volt adapter. I affixed the antenna to the top of the radio and it gets perfect reception even inside the cabin.
When sailing, I can simply move it into the cockpit if I want to hear it. The sound is very good even when beating into the wind.
Though the model I have doesn't have bluetooth, I do have a simple wire that I got from radio shack to plug my phone into it if I do want to listen to mp3s.

ps... this unit is pretty durable. It tumbled across the cabin a few times when I got hit with a puff of wind on a few occasions. Now I have it secured behind a shock cord.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
I have the ecoxgear ecoxbt http://ecoxgear.com/ecoxbt/. Waterproof (not gonna test this in salt water!). I love it. Great reviews for sound quality and loudness.
I also have the ecoxbt. It's great on the beach and in the dinghy. I did (accidently) drop it in salt water at the dock this past summer. It floated there for about 10 seconds before I could get to it. Rinsed it with fresh water and have not seen any ill effects.

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
We often spend the weekend aboard at the slip with the little ones visiting, and sail with my adult sons and sometimes the grandchildren when their moms are not around. Music is a great addition. I installed 6" round "waterproof" speakers in the cockpit and an auto radio in the salon with 4X6 ovals down under. I found an old 2 channel amp in the garage so I put it on a breaker so it works off the inverter while at the slip and is turned off when at sea in which case the speakers run off the radio alone. I can select for cockpit only, salon only or both. My VHF also runs to a separate speaker in the cockpit. I have an ac dorm type fridge in one of the aft berths to chill food and drinks at the slip and it keeps things cold for almost 48 hours after being turned off. Aside from the music, instruments and exterior lighting in the evening or at night [all lighting converted to LEDs], that's about all the batts are called up to do for short trips

Dec 26, 2012
MacGregor 25 San Diego
I recently picked up a speaker made by logitech called the UE Boom. It's got amazing sound for it's size, better than the smaller jambox by a lot and is a fair bit cheaper too. It also has a D-ring in the end that allows me to hang it off my stern rail or inside the cabin, and has a 1/4" tripod thread as well. It doesn't have any kind of play controls, so you do have to control the music with your player, but I dont find that to be a problem. They also claim that it's water resistant, but I don't know how true that really is.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
StinkBug, that's the cylinder one I thought was a JBL. I've only ever seen it displayed standing up like a column, which I figure won't work well in a pitching boat. Does it have a flat spot along the length so if you laid it down, it wouldn't roll around?

I got my Eton Rugged Rukus yesterday. I haven't had it on the boat yet. It sounds about as loud as my Jambox, maybe not quite a bass-y, which could be good in that it's not EQ'd to push bass, and thus distort at higher volumes. I guess if it doesn't rain all weekend, I'll find out more on the boat...