Mundane Stuff

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 376 Point Roberts
Talking about changing oil and fuel filters....what is the thinking about this?
At the beginning of the season say April , May or at the end of the season October, November? I like to do all this at the end of the season but I see some of my neighbors at the marine like to start the season with "fresh" fluids in the engine in spring.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I change mine in the fall before haulout so the oil sitting in the block is fresh. But I only change mine every other year...

Greg

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Talking about changing oil and fuel filters....
Change oil filter and oil on Sun Gypsy every 100 hours. That's usually 2 or 3 times per year while away. Oil has about 10 hours on it right now so I'll wait til spring before doing it again. Fuel filters are usually good for a couple of years.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Fuel filters are usually good for a couple of years.
:yikes:

You must have small pretty fuel tanks you could eat dinner on.

My boat came with a pair of 85 gallon tanks. With aged fuel. After I’ve polished the fuel and stirred the tanks with the fuel, then treated the fresh fuel. I still change filters every 40 or so hours. It is better now. That’s the bad news.
On the good side, I have enough fuel to motor to Ketchikan AK and back. Or I can be an emergency source to friends while in the more remote stretches of the Pacific NW waters. Will have to negotiate the price of fuel of course, now that I’m on a fixed income. :biggrin::beer::beer::beer:

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
It's so small it only has room for 1 plate John. Just 34 U.S. gal. That's why I carry 8 jerries when we go cruising. Lucky, you can get a whole season up here and never have to buy our expensive diesel!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
:yikes:

My boat came with a pair of 85 gallon tanks. With aged fuel. After I’ve polished the fuel and stirred the tanks with the fuel, then treated the fresh fuel. I still change filters every 40 or so hours. It is better now. That’s the bad news.
On the good side, I have enough fuel to motor to Ketchikan AK and back. Or I can be an emergency source to friends while in the more remote stretches of the Pacific NW waters. Will have to negotiate the price of fuel of course, now that I’m on a fixed income. :biggrin::beer::beer::beer:
My boat has about a 20 gallon tank. I FINALLY changed fuel filters this year ( first time since I bought the boat about 4 years ago). They looked pristine.

Oh well, better safe than sorry.

Greg

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Dirt breeds more dirt. Keep tanks clean and dry buy fuel from a volume dealer - filters will out last your desire to change them.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
A good "O" ring on the deck fuel fill cap helps keep water out. I use a biocide to stem algae growth and make every effort to purchase fuel from a high volume supplier like the Cap Sante fuel dock. So far so good. I check the Racor filters periodically for water; always clean. A white filter tells me the fuel in the tank is in good condition.

Oct 22, 2014
A good "O" ring on the deck fuel fill cap helps keep water out.
After I got the boat I started looking at all the fittings and caps. It took me a little bit to discover that the previous owners did not have o rings on the fill caps. So there was water in the fuel tanks. Once learned I installed o rings. I chemically treated the fuel. I used the fuel and changed the filters. I received some filters from @LeslieTroyer which I used to polish the fuel between the two tanks. Eventually I got control of the issue. It is like so many boat issues, while not perfect it is a problem being controlled.

Dec 25, 2000
It is like so many boat issues, while not perfect it is a problem being controlled.
Ditto here. When we purchased Belle-Vie in 2002, she had been sitting unused for some time due to PO medical problems. Took awhile to sort them out, but eventually got most of the issues under control. Biggest was the holding tank. It was full and would not pump it out. Finally discovered a clogged tank vent at the scupper. Since then, at least up until the mineral deposit clog in the aft cabin toilet discharge line, the system has operated trouble free as long as I follow my pump out procedures.

Most everything else just requires periodic maintenance. Stuff breaks or needs repair from time to time and it gets fixed or addressed when it happens. Try to avoid letting things fester. Sort of anal about that, especially as I get older.

Our boys and their families have left. Had a house full for a few days. Noisy, loud, doors slamming, cooking, eating, drinking, etc., etc., etc. Time for some quiet. Lots of laundry to do. Going to Shelter Bay this afternoon just to check on the boat and soak up some of her ambience.

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

Oct 22, 2014
Had a house full for a few days. Noisy, loud, doors slamming, cooking, eating
It is incredible the decibel change from having our daughter and the two grandkids to their being off to see their other Grandmother. All chaos then silence. One begins to appreciate the “Sound of Silence.”

Dec 25, 2000
All chaos then silence.
We had three of our four boys home with their kids, Six grand kids in all. Boat checked out. Bilge dry. Visited John Lund, old sailing buddy, stuck in a memory care facility. Does not belong there. What to do. What to do. He wants out to go back and live on his boat where he is happiest. He seems pretty normal to me during our regular visits.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
I was up on the boat this past weekend. Riding a Friday high from concluding negotiations for the sale of my business activities. Retirement and the freedom for some extended sailing is less than 60 days away.

Celebrated Saturday, with my sailing buddy @LeslieTroyer . He was almost as excited as I was. Oh the adventures on the horizon.

Chilly nights meant firing up the diesel heater. It made the evening and night time toasty. 32F mornings walking the docks means a step with care experience. But then the fog clears and the sun warms the boat and my spirits as I looked around at the possible tasks and decided on the ones I wanted to do.

I decided to fit my first of 9 gaskets around the the window frames. For over 2 years I have searched for the vinyl/rubber gasket that is between the aluminum frame and glass on my salon ports.
View attachment 158436 View attachment 158435

Then I found a Canadian window manufacturer that had the exact gasket on a boat window at the Seattle boat show. Made some calls and discussed the purchase of 70 ft of gasket material. It arrived, I removed and then worked the new gasket around the window and wow... That's the way the windows were intended to look.
View attachment 158437 in black.. Will need to clean the window now.
Neat. Next step is to remove the windows that need refitting and then install the rest of the gaskets. It is not a real difficult job, but it leaves my hands sore from pressing the gaskets in between the window and frame.

Cleaned up the boat, and after a scrumptious breakfast at a new restaurant for me in Mukilteo, then Sunday went out for a 2.5 hour sail. Glorious, cruising past the US Navy Frigates at NS Everett on Veterans Day.
View attachment 158438 Boy that new sail looks good.

Unfortunately the wind died and so my return leg was under power. A bit miffed I had to dodge a couple dozen crab pots strewn across the narrow navigational channel into the Snohomish River. There ought to be a law that is enforceable.

Got back to the dock before the sun had set and the evening chill was not yet cold. Removed my Mainsail and got it stowed. Went up to the local Italian restaurant and feasted on a grilled salmon Caesar salad, fresh bread with roasted garlic olive oil and a glass of Chianti, finished off with a dollop of limon gelato. What a great day.

Final say I am joined by sailing buddy @Ken Cross for breakfast. We share the story of his boat repair and talk radios and AIS transponders. Fortunately, he had nothing immediate to do and willingly joined me on the boat to remove and fold my 155 Genoa. We made short work together that would have been a problematic task alone.

The primary task complete, I loaded the bedding and boat stuff in the car and headed home. Happy but sad. It will be 2 months before I can again feel the gentle rolling of S/V Hadley under my feet.
Congratulations on the sale of your company. I hope you have a long retirement of sailing and posting on SBO!