Muffler petcock rotted

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Hi all and Happy Thanksgiving in advance.
Boat now on the hard for the winter and I'm starting to plan my projects. The petcock on my Aqualift muffler has rotted out an fallen off, leaving a rusted "plug". There are no leaks from this. However, I'm trying to decide to either, attempt removing the rust plug and saving the threads for a new petcock. Or, drilling it out, filling with 5200, (or similar) and drilling a new hole. Has anyone tackled this project yet? Thanks for the input and Happy Dreams of Sailing this winter.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The petcock on my Aqualift muffler has rotted out an fallen off, leaving a rusted "plug".
It is NOT a petcock. It only looks like one! :banghead:
Really. The "petcock looking thing" is simply a "handle" to turn the big bolt.
If you remove it, you will see. There is no "petcock inside the bigger bolt."
Take it out and bring it to a good hardware store to get a bolt that size with the same threads.
Your choice as to what you want the end to look like. For me, I'd just get a big hex head.
Good luck.

• Helpful
Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Hi all and Happy Thanksgiving in advance.
Boat now on the hard for the winter and I'm starting to plan my projects. The petcock on my Aqualift muffler has rotted out an fallen off, leaving a rusted "plug". There are no leaks from this. However, I'm trying to decide to either, attempt removing the rust plug and saving the threads for a new petcock. Or, drilling it out, filling with 5200, (or similar) and drilling a new hole. Has anyone tackled this project yet? Thanks for the input and Happy Dreams of Sailing this winter.
Phil, on my 1988 C30 it had a regular automotive petcock when I bought it 21 years ago. I replaced that with an all bronze one but it doesn't work any more so I just take the whole thing out and reseal it with teflon tape after draining.