Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Looking for a 40amp controller
Anyone purchase one recent with a recomend for me
Thks

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Check out Ferris. I have one in the boat and one in my RV.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
GBGraham. Theres a good reason to be wary of those controllers. It's PWM and a no-name form China. I have a couple of these. There ok for maybe 20a 200w system. (My Opinion only. If it burns your boat down... Well a $100 more wouldn't have hurt for the purchase price.)
If you have one take a look inside it. There is heat transfer tape going to the heat sink that is a 3x4" piece of tin....
Sure the tape is supposed to work, but the heat sink.
Please shop for a brand name that doesn't have a cooling fan. A big heat sink is best in my opinion.
Marty

Nov 10, 2017
Hunter Legend 260 Epidavros
GBGraham. Theres a good reason to be wary of those controllers. It's PWM and a no-name form China. I have a couple of these. There ok for maybe 20a 200w system. (My Opinion only. If it burns your boat down... Well a $100 more wouldn't have hurt for the purchase price.)
If you have one take a look inside it. There is heat transfer tape going to the heat sink that is a 3x4" piece of tin....
Sure the tape is supposed to work, but the heat sink.
Please shop for a brand name that doesn't have a cooling fan. A big heat sink is best in my opinion.
Marty
You may well be very correct in what you are saying and any high amperage can always be a worry. I only keep my battery healthy with 20w and the most load I have ever put through a PWM or a MPPT controller is 100w@24v
Isn't it very annoying though when you buy an expensive brand name and it's got made in China on it!!

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Isn't it very annoying though when you buy an expensive brand name and it's got made in China on it!!
Not at all because the "expensive brand name" has a reputation to uphold and the product is built to their design, components selection, and quality level. What is scary to me is no-name, no-brand reputation, Chinese stuff (eBay, Amazon, Alixxxx etc.) where there is absolutely no reputation or "brand name" to uphold what so ever. This allows the sleazy side of China to export and undercut well designed products, and it when it fails or burns a boat, it's on the purchaser not them. Aurinco solar is but one example of this. They designed a good MPPT controller but their Chinese manufacturer, who actually could build good stuff, stole the design, changed the front sticker color, grossly cheapened it, and started selling it direct for less than Aurinco was paying in massive bulk quantities.. When opened up the internal components were pure crap compared to the units being built to Aurinco's specifications. I know of two of these knock offs that have burned up but not a single one of the original Aurinco units.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
My wife was out in Mesa Az last week looked up a local supplier and picked up one from SRNE a 40 amo mppt MS2440 Comes with a bluetooth adapter. Guys says he sells a lot to everyone that has a houseboat on all the lakes around there. will let you know how it works out