MP 4 Connection to Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
Has anyone ever connected a MP 4 player to the 310 Radio/CDplayer output? Would it be possible?

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
it would depend on what radio you have installed.... do you have an input jack on the font of the radio unit? if you do its a plug and play... just switch your "source" to aux and turn up the volume....
some radios, but very few had a rear input jack or RCA type plugs to input and play from another source..... very rare set up.
the mp4 player you have, is it an ipod or another brand? most all new radios have an optional cable to connect an ipod, and then you have full control of the ipod from the radio dials and buttons....
if you have a more generic version, the front aux input jack is the best option, but there are also FM transmitters that will allow you to hook up to the player and transmit the signal to an unused FM frequency on your radio so that you can play it that way....

Jul 1, 2009
Thanks for your advice, centerline. The radio is a 12 year old GME with no modern ports. The MP4 is a ‘cheapy’ Laser, which I bought for some other purpose originally. It has the earphone jack and an USB port for charging. Rather than throwing it out, I thought it may take the place of bulky CD storage on the boat. I could buy some speakers for it, but it would be nice if I could integrate in the existing set-up. The radio has plenty of FM frequencies which it cannot access, but I wouldn’t have a clue, how to hook it up. Maybe I’ll just leave it as one of my fantasies.

Jan 23, 2012
catalina 310 Lake Macquarie
We have the same GME unit in Magpie, doesn't have a front aux jack and the manual doesn't indicate a rear input either. Rather than replace the whole unit, we have small FM transmitter for iPod. It has gets power via the 12v cigarette lighter socket on the panel, plugs into your iPod (or other device via standard 3.5mm plug) and converts signal to FM. Scans through different channels and you just tune the FM radio on the GME to appropriate one. Have a look in JB HiFi, Officeworks or Dick Smith, there are a couple of brands available, I think I paid about A$60 for ours. Works fine.

Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
I also have an 11-year old stereo in my new-to-me C310. But I have one of these that I used in my old truck and it works fine. I plan to use it in the boat...as soon as I can get down and see my boat.

There are lots of iPod FM transmitters for under $30 on Amazon.

Cheers,
Jim

Jul 1, 2009
Thanks, ianofoz, for the advice/clarification. Seems I’m stuck in another electronic age. And thanks to the other guys re the link to Amazon. Shall start on that little project soon, as soon as I’ve fixed my water pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.