Moving up

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cliff Ruckstuhl

I am now sailing a 25.5 and am looking to move up soom will I be happy with the 31? We sail on Lake Erie and do some racing. Will the 31 be a good race boat with the guys and a good cruiser with the family? Cliff cliffr@bright.net

A

A

Good Cruiser

I'm in Fla,,a little diffeent than the great lakes, but....my 31 is a great cruiser (wife and 1 child). Very roomy and comfortable. I have a shoal draft which hasn't helped my racing...but is definate plus for cruising Fla. $ for $ it's a terrific boat. Good luck!

F

Forrest B True

h31 racer/cruiser

Been sailing an 87 h31 since new in 88. Never had ( so far) any problems at all with the boat. Very good cruiser, good performer but no racer. We sail along the Maine coast and we do have a lot of wind so expect to shorten sail early. Buy it. You can't beat the value in my opinion.

M

Marc Honey

Friend of mine raced a 31 on Lake Travis in Austin Tx. and was very competitive. He ran a 150 on roller furling and with the right crew always finished well. The other posts are right on the money as to comfort and value.I'd have bought his boat when it went up for sale, but it was 5yr. older and $6000 or so higher than the 28.5 Hunter that I wound up with. Couldn't be happier with my Hunter.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Only other thing...

Cliff: Only other boat that I would look at would be a 34' (if the budget can afford it). Same basic layout with a little more room. We have a 31 and love it. BE SURE TO GET THE COMPRESSION POST CHECK OUT.

B

Brad

Hunter 310 a great cruiser

We took delivery of a 2000 310 in September. I went to buy the new 290 and when side by side comparison, there was no contest with the 310 for a few extra $$. We spent every weekend till the middle of November on the boat in the Chesapeake Bay and have slept 2 couples in complete comfort. It seems to be very fast although i don't race, ti is very easy to sail. I must say though if your budget can afford it the 340 which my neigbor has is mighty nice

J

John

Great boat

I'll bet the H31 will beat the pants off your old boat! Especially the deep keel version.

T

Tim Op't Holt

31 is great

We have had a 31 for 3 years now, and I can honestly say that I don't look around at others' boats! It is comfortable, forgiving when sailing, and user-friendly. Do it!

J

Jay Hill

New or Used?

Can't say anything about the new boats, but my '85 H31 is fantastic, but I race very rarely and usually with rookie crew so I don't place in the top three very often. (We are simply trying to get to the bar-b-que via marks and committee boats.) Very comfy for up to 7 people if you know each other VERY well. Good cruising for four or five easily. Good systems. Buy a three-blade feathering max prop to go with it, the vibration from stock parts is a bit excessive. As mentioned by someone else, the rig is great but be ready to furl/reef starting at 18K of apparent. Below that she tracks great; best maneuvering boat under power I've ever been on. I suggest you read all the owner reviews of the 31 and search the archives for all the little things that are specific to 31's. Then decide if you want to fix them or buy a 31 with all of them fixed already. Let us know what you do! Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.