Moving to Lake Erie

Status
Not open for further replies.

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
I've just accepted a job in Northern Ohio and will be challenged by moving our boat from Galveston Bay to Lake Erie. So much to consider...

We've enjoyed the nearly year-round sailing and relatively smooth waters of the Kemah and Galveston areas and are wondering what lies in store on Lake Erie.

We have a fin keel and 6' draft so are we making a mistake moving the boat? We hate to sell Brio and start over, but don't want to move her and regret it later.

Lake Erie sailors, what say you?

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
You need to contact the marina that you plan to stay at and find out what the depths in the marina are through out the year.

The water levels of all the Great Lakes has been steadly going down over the years. http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/data/now/wlevels/dbd/

The marina I was at this year started out at 8 feet in the spring and and at haul out was 5.5 feet.

Good Luck

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
Welcome to Ohio. You didn't say what city you will be in or near but you should be able to find a marine with enough depth. A few years ago a friend kept his 50' boat that drafts 6' in Cleveland without a problem. Wish I could help with other locations but mine is on a small lake instead of Erie. I know there are at least two 310s on Erie and hopefully they will help you out.

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
Thanks for the suggestions so far. We will be living between Akron and Cleveland NAND will optimally looking for a marina East of Cleveland.

Oct 1, 2011
Hunter 42 Passage Huron, OH
Welcome to Ohio. I just spent my first year sailing Lake Erie. I have an H34 that drafts 5.5 and have no problems. A friend has a Yamaha 36 that drafts almost 7 feet. I am at a marina called Harbor North in Huron Ohio. (Harbornorth.com) There are a ton of marinas up here to dock at, and many of the boats at our marina at 45+. You biggest adjustment will be the quick changing weather conditions. The Great Lakes really are in "Inland Ocean" Would not hesitate at all to move your boat. Enjoy.....

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
I live west of Akron Canton Airport. Look up Edgewater Yacht Club and Whiskey Island Marina in Cleveland. The later is where my friend kept his 50 while it was on the lake.

Mar 10, 2012
Catalina 310 Hull#293 Erie, PA
I am moving my 310 to Lake Erie next Spring. I am a Great Lakes native and it's time to start exploring. I will be in Erie, Pa, more central Lake Erie, but I plan on spending a lot of my cruising in the Western Basin. Of course next year is the Bi-Centennial of the Battle of Lake Erie and all of the pageantry that will bring. You will be in the right place to enjoy it. Challenging sailing at times, monitoring of the forecast is imperative, but I look forward to the fun and challenge.

See you out on the Lake after the ice melts!

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
Welcome to the North Coast. We keep Winter Dream'n (#118) on Catawba Island near Port Clinton in the western basin. We have a wing keel that draws 4'10" and have not had any problems, but, you need to be in a marina that is keel friendly. We have many dockers at Catawba Moorings (see their web site) that come from the area where you will be. The advantage or our area of the lake is the proximity of the Laker Erie islands that offer bunches of destinations, anchorages and fun. I urge you to check out Catawba Moorings - a full service marina with boat yard, haul out, storage, and great creature comforts for the Admiral (and you can have your boat shipped right there). Give them a call, drive over this winter and visit the marina and tell Patty, Maria or Rocky that I suggested you call. Sailing on Lake Erie will be very different from what you are used to and as stated above, it is an inland sea. The 310 is a great boat for Lake Erie. There are a bunch of Lake Erie sailing articles in Mainsheet over the past few years that can give you a flavor of what to expect. Feel free to give me a call 614-481-6744 or email at bob@advancedreading.com if you want to continue the conversation.

DougMc

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 36 Erieau Ontario
Lake Erie is a great place to sail. If you are getting a dock measure the water depth. The lake has dropped a couple of feet this year. No problem in the lake but a lot of mariners have a lot of slips with not a lot of water. Local knowledge rules, and I am not talking about marina staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.