Moving side stays outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pete Albright

Hopefully, I will soon own a 1977 H30. I am wondering if anyone else has considered moving the side stays to the outside edge of the boat, to gain more walkway space next to the cabin? The new chain plates could be attached to the same braces, only on the side instead of the top.

M

Michael Cohn

Not good

These things are attached to *things* belowdecks which cannot and should not be moved. It's not just the chainplates. This sounds like a very unsafe thing to do, quite honestly, especially for the sake of gaining a bit of space. MC

K

Karl Berntson

Check compression post

Pete, Last spring we bought a '77 H30 and had it surveyed, with no major problems showing up. As it turns out the surveyor totally missed a problem with the compression post. The I-beam above the keel is OK and so is the plywood on top of the I-beam, but the mast is sinking, so either the top of the compression post is rotting or the basa core in the cabin top below the mast is saturated. An easy way to detect the problem is to check the alignment of the door to the head. Close the door and see how it aligns vertically on the starboard side. It the gap is not the same from top to bottom, there might be a problem. Otherwise, it is a great boat. Good Luck! Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.