Moving on up

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

J Manley

We have sailed and sold, a 25 ft. Catalina and are considering a 1984 Hunter 31. The boat is void of extras, the survey is about to be done, and the asking price is $28K, seems high, any thoughts. Major/costly concerns about this year boat ???

M

Mike

Costs

Check the rudder to see if repairs or even a replacement has been done (they have structure defects in some years.)I shopped for 4 months to find a boat and found a well equipped H31 for 31k. I believe the boat to be worth it (for the west coast) they are less on east coast. Check the FWC on the Yanmar to ensure it does not need repair. The boats are a real value.

B

bob

great boat

i owned a h31 for 5 yrs and consider her to be a great boat for coastal cruising....sails well, no bad habits, roomy inside, etc....i had no problems whatever with the boat itself....i had yanmar overheating problems....some boats have had problems with the wooden conpression post, but i didn't....in fl the boat you are looking at would go in the mid- 20s...my only regret was not buying a h34....if you can afford it, i strongly recommend that you not be intimidated by the larger size when you are moving up...

J

John

Big picture

Besides a favorable survey of the hull, compression post, deck core, etc., consider the status of the sails, engine, standing and running rigging, upholstery, electronics, plumbing, maintenance history. I believe $28K is a fair price for a well maintained, 84 H31 that is "void of extras".

Status
Not open for further replies.