Moving main halyard to the cockpit

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
It's becoming a little daunting at my age to go to the mast and raise the main when the winds blowing and the boat is pitching. The non-self-tailing winch on the mast means that the Admiral is there to do the tailing, as we are both holding on for dear life, while the auto pilot is trying to keep us headed into the wind. There has got to be a better way.

Have any of you O,Day owners routed the halyard to the cockpit? If so, how did you get through or over the coaming? Once through the coaming there is plenty of room under the dodger for a clutch and winch. Not sure where or how is the best way to attach a block to lead the line aft.

Another option would be to replace the mast winch with a self-tailing one.

Or I could just have a stainless steel support structure installed at the base of the mast. The support structure would be a safe place to lean against and hold on to while at the mast.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Heritage, the 272 model had the halyards led aft, first up to a sheave at the mast top down internally in the mast to another sheave, then to a deck mounted turning block, then to the cabin top winch...years ago when I bought a new halyard line I lengthened the line to allow me to raise and lower from the wheel, although 90 percent of the time I still raise it while standing in the cockpit near the winch so I can use the winch handle to help raise it. You would need to have an extra sheave at the mast head and then another extra sheave at the mast base, then a turning block....sorry I seem to be repeating myself...works like a champ.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
its hard to imagine that you havent seen this setup on other boats.....
this can be done on either side you choose, with however many lines you have... there are many different ways to accomplish it.... turning blocks, deck organizer and clutches on a bigger boat....
I dont use the winch to pull the halyards, but it can be rigged so you can, if thats your preference...

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
Oday 35 W. Boothbay Harbor, ME
Regarding Heritage' windlass

Pat:
Saw your post on your windlass. Looked like a perfect solution for our O'day 35.
Now planning to add a Lewmar H700 in the same manner as yours with a footswitch to its left.
Has your experience shown that the bedding method has been strong and leakproof enough? Anything you would have done differently?
Would appreciate any suggestions.
Ron

Last edited: