Moving back to Hawaii...looking for a boat

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
My wife and I have decided to move back to Oahu after 15 additional years in Boulder, CO. Monique will move in ~9/2020. I will follow in ~6/2021 due to work commitments in the San Francisco area. I'm just starting to look for a killer pocket cruiser to sail to Oahu from SF. BCC, Morris Linda, Cape George 31, or similar. If anyone is in that area and has a well maintained boat that they are considering selling let me know.
pm_072519_060.jpg

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
There has been a Cape George 31 for sale their, for years, looks a bit beat, but a good sea boat as you need in the Islands, I'll see if I can find a link.....

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Yeah...if it's the one in Anacortes...I looked at it. It's not the right boat for me.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Oh my God Phil, has it been that long? I remember when you moved to Colorado, thinking why would you move away from Hawaii. Then you posted incredible (as always) pictures of Colorado and you told us of your adventures there and it seemed like it was a really good move. I just can't believe that was 15 years ago. Have fun looking for a boat, I really enjoyed the process.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Hi Phil,
Changes like that are always exciting. What's your budget? I was just reading some impressive stuff about the Pacific Seacraft Dana 24. A little smaller than the general size range you indicated, but a capable bluewater boat that can be stored on a trailer. The one below is located in Washington. A coastal sail to SF would make a great shakedown cruise.
Seacraft Yacht Sales, Inc (Seattle, WA)

Whatever boat you end up with, take us along on the sail to Hawaii.

:beer:

-Will (Dragonfly)

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
DArcy, yeah...it's been 15 years. Leaving CO will be hard, but we already have friends proposing dates for house swaps.

My oldest daughter has 1 more semester in college then she's moving to Hawaii to work, get residency, then go to grad school for marine biology. Odds are she'll get a PhD. My youngest daughter has 1.5 years to go. She's doing pre-med at the University of Colorado in Boulder. She has no idea where she will be going to med school. My wife wants to move closer to her parents who are getting older. She's taking over their real estate company so they can fully retire. My boss is fine with me working remotely after ~2/21 when the first group of satellites I am working on launch. I will be in Palo Alto & San Jose a ton over the next year so having a boat in that area to get everything worked out is ideal. Odds are my oldest daughter will come along for the trip to Hawaii. She's been racing both small and big boats in college as well as teaching sailing each summer.

Will - Yep....the Dana 24 is on my list. I did see that one in the Seattle area. If it's still available later this year I may take a trip to Seattle to check it out and other boats in that area. A friend of mine in Hawaii had one (he may still have it). Those are great boats! I'm planning to buy something in late spring or early summer. Total budget for the boat and getting it ready for a trip to Hawaii is < 100K, but I would prefer to keep it well under that number and that should be relatively easy to do.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Great news, Phil! It seems like yesterday you owned the Morris Frances in Hawaii and your two girls were little ones. Keep us posted.