Moving back to Hawaii - found a new boat

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
After shopping for ~8 months (started about the time we decided to move back) and checking out a bunch of boats in person I put an offer on one and it is now under contract. Yeah...sure I have to deal with shipping costs between Maine & San Francisco, but it's worth it to me. I invested the cash from my previous Hawaii boat (Frances 26' in a few good stocks ~15 years ago with something like this in mind). Next steps...pre-purchase survey, quick trip to Maine to see the boat in person, then one more to deal with shipping in late May / early June assuming all goes well with the survey and my inspection.

Here's the boat....1981 Morris Annie.

7199788_20190829145011122_1_XLARGE-860x480.jpg

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Have you sailed from SF to Hawaii before or will this be a first?
I've never done the sail from CA to HI, but I have 2 years to get myself and the boat ready for the trip. Planning to go in late May / early June of 2022 (combination of work commitments and understanding what I need to learn & do).

I've done a bunch of coastal and inter-island sailing in Hawaii and crewed for some Transpac boat owners in HI. I have a fairly solid understanding of what's involved and what I need to learn and do between now and then. The entire process will be an adventure that I'm sure I will enjoy.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Phil. Congratulations on finding your boat.
The image is striking.
I’m wondering, why that boat? It carries a lot of logistical challenges.

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Phil. Congratulations on finding your boat.
The image is striking.
I’m wondering, why that boat? It carries a lot of logistical challenges.
Thanks John,

Several factors - incredibly well built; excellent maintenance history; capable pocket cruiser; lightly used; stored indoors for the Maine winters; Chuck Paine design (used to own a Frances and loved it); would rather spend my time sailing, maintaining, & prepping a boat than doing major work on one; it's freakin' beautiful (I'm into the "work of art" thing when it comes to sailboats & bicycles); trucking cost is a wash when compared to doing major rework on a sailboat in need of work (Hinckley / Morris has several truckers they work with & provided a reasonable shipping & logistics quote); I've shipped several satellites in much bigger containers over the years so I'm not really daunted by the logistics; ....could go on for a while, but hopefully this gives you an idea into my thoughts & selection process.

Cheers,

Phil

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Beautiful vessel aptly named
Very nice, but...;)
Since you're going to be living in Hawaii and you bought the boat in Maine, like the name "Lalo Hikina" which I loosely translate through Google Translate as "Down East".

I hear that the canned food is much better for a trip like that now :p:p
Yes, not nearly as much heavy metal spice added during the canning process.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I've done a bunch of coastal and inter-island sailing in Hawaii and crewed for some Transpac boat owners in HI. I have a fairly solid understanding of what's involved and what I need to learn and do between now and then. The entire process will be an adventure that I'm sure I will enjoy.
It is sure to be a great adventure! I live in Hawaii, but sail my C310 out of Boston Harbor, MA. I can understand your desire to return to paradise.