Moved my house batteries. *pop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
I have completed moving my 280lbs of house batteries from the port locker to under the starboard settee. Link will show you what I did. Jim S/V Java

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Jim, nice looking job. I could not tell from...

your pic, but if your boat were bottom side up would the batteries remain in place? Just a thought. Bud

abe

Jan 2, 2007
- - channel islands
jim, I had the same problem with leaning to port

except I added an additional 18g water tank in the starboard settee and help solve that problem, not to mention the additional water. abe

Mar 21, 2004
Thanks some answers

Bud, yes the cases are strapped in across the top and sides. Straps are rated to 6000lbs. I plan not to be in a position to be upside down :) Ron, in the attached picture you can see the scum line. I was leaning to port and aft because of the weight in the big port locker. Might need to do something else when I start stuffing the Grandkids in there this summer. Jim S/V Java

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Why two. . . .

starter batteries Jim? Was that factory installed or someone's paranoia? :) That is a really elegant solution and well implemented. Thanks for the pictorial.

Mar 21, 2004
Hi Ed

The two group 27's were factory install. One starter the other house. My dear beloved wants her popcorn and movies, so needed bigger house bank. The four trojans give me a total of 450Ahrs. Jim S/V Java

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
venting the batteries

Jim I did something similar. Although in the pic you cant see the batteries but they in the lockers under the settee. I went with four "golfer" deep cycle 6 volt. I balanced them with two on either side up forward for balast. In series with an on/off switch up front too. One question after looking at yours. I keep shore power on when not on the boat with float on the inverter. I put my batts in cases but left the tops uncovered for ventilation/slash heat issues. Do you think you will have any issues with that? Mine fit nice and tight in the lockers. I used a tack strip to keep them from sliding backwards when im taking on a 40 foot wave NOT. Upside down! I got bigger problems than batteries moving around. What if the booze came loose! Better strap that down first. Cheers Rick s/v Whiskey Chaser

Status
Not open for further replies.