Mounting the backstay flicker and what stove

Nov 27, 2019
C&C 30. MK1 715 Lake Norman
My boat arrived at my marina last week and I've been getting to know it. It's on the hard to get a bottom job if the weather ever cooperates.

How is the backstay flicker mounted on the top of the mast? Mine has two holes through the flicker (selden says "do NOT drill any holes....) and two tapped holes in one arm of the mast crane. One of the tapped hole was drilled wrong and is very loose. I don't trust it! I'm have a plate made to properly mount the flicker.

Since my boat didn't come with a stovetop I'm asking what brand/model is installed in your boats. Not that I plan to cook meals aboard but coffee occasionally would be great.

Last edited:

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Is your mast a replacement for the original or are you trying to install a flicker that is made by Selden? The original mast for the C&C 30 was not made by Selden. Do you have so much roach on your main that you need a backstay flicker?

Nov 27, 2019
Ted, this posting is in reference to my new Catalina 275, not the C&C 30.

Jun 6, 2016
Catalina 275 Wilmette, IL
I wonder if you are missing some parts. Here is the top of my mast:

P1030651.JPG

The two chrome or SS brackets are what hold the kicker and there is only one screw: the one closest to the light. The other bracket does not need a screw. Not even sure if my kicker even has two holes drilled, but definitely only one through the shrink cover. If you are having something made, it really sounds like you are missing the brackets.

I didn't get the stove, but I did write down the model somewhere. If no one chimes in, I'll take a look through my folder. I actually don't mind not having it as I use the space to hold the typical accessories that I may need while sailing. The space is rather accessible from the cockpit.

Nov 27, 2019
Codybear, that's correct, no brackets! Guess it was too much trouble for boatyard to install correctly. I have brackets on order, expected in a couple of days.

Thanks for the picture, it clears up the issue.

Jun 6, 2016
In case you do not already have all of the holes drilled, the brackets appear to be about 4 1/8" plus/minus 1/16" apart on center. This is my best guess based on an unaligned picture that happens to have a tape measurer across the top the mast. I took two pictures, w/wo a tape measurer, of the top of the mast two years ago in case I wanted to make a mast cover for storage. If you would like the picture w/ tape measurer, pm your email address.

Jul 24, 2018
Catalina 275 36 Sydney Harbour
My boat came with a Kenyon single burner metho stove - see attached. Its OK but a bit messy and slow to boil. Doesn't gimbal so has a pot holder. The lid is glass so not an entirely practical surface closed and takes up precious bench space. Arguably better off with a removable cutting board in place of the lid.

Its useful enough to keep, but if setting up afresh I'd probably stow a single burner butane camp stove to use in the cockpit and have a recessed bin in the galley top not unlike Codybears suggestion ie a close and secure place to thrown stuff down into (other than the sink) from the cockpit under sail.

Attachments

Jun 6, 2016
And I leave the warped Catalina cutting board at home. Have a small cutting board in the utensil drawer to leave the recessed bin fully accessible. Readily accessible storage space is not a strong point of the C275. Additionally, I have a Magma Cabo with rail mount and padded storage bag, for the cockpit locker, when I do want to do some grilling. It's a nice size grill for the boat. For safety, I cap the spare 1 lb propane canister with a metal cap and added rubber o-ring.

Nov 27, 2019
Roo and Codybear,,,, thank you both for the helpful advice. I think I will forgo the stove and use the space for more useful purposes as you suggest.

I installed the correct brackets for the flicker and replaced the anchor light with a combination tricolor/anchor light from marinebeam.com that only requires two wires. You can see on the photo the extra holes that were drilled for the original jury rigged install and the rust stains from the steel screws they used!

The mast was stepped two days ago and the bottom has been sanded, just waiting for decent weather to paint. Hopefully I'll be sailing it finally in two weeks.

Attachments

Jun 6, 2016
What is the black object on the plate that I have my anchor light mounted?

Like the new marinebeam light. Too bad I have already replaced my stock anchor bulb with a marinebeam led bulb.

Nov 27, 2019
The black object is the mount for the Raymarine wind transducer, my boat has an I60 wind display.
I'll be replacing the rest of the bulbs for the running lights with LED's from marinebeam in the future.