mounting solar to bimini frame

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
the old bimini canvas was ragged so I removed it from the frame early the first summer after we bought the boat.... so now im finally ready to install my solar panel frames on my bimini bows.... afterwards I will install the new bimini canvas (already made and fitted), with grommets installed so it can be laced onto the bows.... Lacing the canvas on will allow for the use of these rail mounts I made to fit the bows, shown below...

they are made from 1" thick acetal plastic which is hard, then drilled and tapped....
the 2 aluminum frames will be mounted at 4 points each, with a 4 inch space for the backstay between them... the panels will set into the frames.
the mounts had to be 3" tall so the frames would clear the middle bow, which is naturally higher than the front and back bows...

the kyocera panels are equipped with a heavy frame for direct mounting, but my bimini bows are spaced farther fore and aft, than the panels are long, so for ease of mounting, I will build and mount the frames, and then insert the panels afterwards.

20160416_135542.jpg
20160416_174738.jpg
20160416_180000.jpg

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
Nice work fabricating your mounts! You're pretty far into your project, but this is how I installed mine.
GOPR0021.JPG

Mar 20, 2012
I like that.... yours are level(in relation to the boat), and level with with one another, where mine will not be....

its an easy mounting system, but the stainless corner pieces get expensive, and thats what I am trying to avoid.....

I also like the speaker on your radar pole... its right where you need it when navigating bridge openings, or for anytime you really need to hear the VHF....

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Marine part depot is where I get all my stainless and wait when they have a
discount sale and some plastic clamps on the internet that I used for my solar.
I was lucky that I was able to use the Hunter arch for the front and bimini for the rear.
NickIMG_4371.JPG IMG_4358.JPG

Attachments

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
Make sure you post photos of the final install. I always like to see other peoples ingenuity on display. I also like your thoughts on making things to keep costs down. I do that all the time. In fact, much of what you see in my previous photo is made by me. The radar pole mount was entirely fabricated by me, I sewed up my own bimini canvas, constructed the sternrail seats and fabricated the chartplotter housing. I love customizing our boat.

BayMan

Sep 12, 2012
Hunter 450 Unspecified
Nice work, guys. Did anyone consider (like I am) removing the canvas and using the solar as part of a hard Bimini top?

Mar 20, 2012
Nice work, guys. Did anyone consider (like I am) removing the canvas and using the solar as part of a hard Bimini top?
I considered using the large panels as the only covering, but it rains here..... the canvas will shed its water out over the coaming, and in the heat of summer, the canvas will offer better coverage. and being shaded by the panels it should last a very long time.