mounting solar charge controller

Jun 8, 2019
Beneteau Oceanis 50 Kemah, TX
I'm preparing my Oceanis 50 for blue water cruising and am adding 4 160W solar panels and a Renogy 60 Amp MPPT charge controller. The controller is quite a large unit and I'm struggling with where to install it. I don't think that I will have to look at it very often as I have the blue tooth module and can check/monitor/change using their app on my phone.

Any guidance from someone that has already installed one of these units (or similar) would be appreciated.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Well ventilated area with as minimal distance to the panels and battery bank as practical.

Jun 8, 2019
Beneteau Oceanis 50 Kemah, TX
Thanks Mike. The panels, controller etc all came as a kit from renogy. They supplied the cables that run from the panels to the controller and they are 20' long and the cables from the controller to the batteries are 10' long. The panels are mounted on an arch on the stern (a big arch) so I lose about 10' just getting the cables into the boat....so I can put the controller about 10 feet from the entry point. Mine is a 2 cabin layout 2013 Beneteau Oceanis.....so I think I'm going to have to mount it (the controller) somewhere in the aft cabin. I'm just struggling with where to put it so that I can minimize cutting etc. Someone else out there has done this before me so I'm hoping for a little experienced guidance.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Thanks Mike. The panels, controller etc all came as a kit from renogy. They supplied the cables that run from the panels to the controller and they are 20' long and the cables from the controller to the batteries are 10' long. The panels are mounted on an arch on the stern (a big arch) so I lose about 10' just getting the cables into the boat....so I can put the controller about 10 feet from the entry point. Mine is a 2 cabin layout 2013 Beneteau Oceanis.....so I think I'm going to have to mount it (the controller) somewhere in the aft cabin. I'm just struggling with where to put it so that I can minimize cutting etc. Someone else out there has done this before me so I'm hoping for a little experienced guidance.
I have a 423..... in my aft cabin I have a cabinet above my engine access hatch that I put my balmar external regulator in....... I anticipate putting my mppt controller(s) in same location.
So very interested in hearing about your set-up. I had spoke with them and it sounds like something I want however I ha e heard others use multiple controllers especially when using different sized panels. I will be using their flex 160 watt and two 50 watt.
Greg

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
Don't be afraid to extend the cables a little if you need to.
You may wish to build your own cable. You can purchase the MC4 connectors, some quality cable and the proper crimp tool and build your own cable. That's what I did for my RV.

Jun 24, 2014
Beneteau 461 Kent Narrows, MD
I have 2000 Oceanis 461. I mounted the solar panel controller underneath the quarter berth behind the batteries, battery charger-inverter. Very dry area, reasonable well ventilated. No problems after 7 years. I also installed red heavy duty cut-off switch next to the battery switches. On the front panel of the quarter berth.
Only problem I have not been able to solve is when I leave the solar panel ON and also have the shore power charging the batteries. My Xantrex meter panel gets confused and sends error messages. But I like to leave it on in case the shore power goes out...?!