Mounting Offshore Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jake Roquet

I am preparing my little baby for a trip to Bermuda. Has anyone mounted similar equipment for offshore: 1. Liferaft, cannister type, Zodiac brand. Where did you mount it? Did you use through-mounts? If so, how did you deal with this cosmetically in the cabin. Where did you find a cradle? My limitations include the fact that I will mount my dinghy on the foredeck. It is a RIB so I can only fold it up so much. I would also like to install some additional deck cleats for my dinghy and other things. How do we know where to bolt these on deck? Again through-mounts, backplated would be preferred but how have you folks dealt with the hard liner in the cabin and unknown wiring runs? 2. SSB and Tuner. I bought the ICOM. It is big and heavy. Tuner is lighter but still bulky. Where did you mount these? How did you mount these? Did you have any grounding issues when you mounted yours? 3. SSB Antenna. Where the heck do you put one on the Hunter. There is no backstay. There is a product called the "Outbacker" (sp?) antenna (stern rail mount) but it is only 6' tall. I understand you do not need the tuner with this but have to change a "thingamabob" everytime you change bands. Pros and cons to this? My dealer says he would have to mount a separate wire to the mast. 4. Has anyone rigged for a staysil on deck? 5. Drogue. I will be using a 72" drogue. The bridle will be mounted forward to the winches. Has anyone configured this to clear the arches and stern rail? A lot to think about but maybe some of you have done this or have thoughta about the best way to mount these things. Safety and durability is key but cosmetics are important as well. It's too late to buy a different off-shore boat. And I love the 410. When I get this set-up completed I'll share mechanics with all. BTW, I have started a pretty extensive provisioning list (Excel format) I'd like to share with all. Perhaps we can make it pretty comprehensive and avoid reinventing the wheel next time you try to make the big jump. (Which it is for us.) Send me an e-mail and I'll forward it to you. (Make sure you are virus clean -- I've never had one in twenty years. My attachment to you will be clearly marked.) Thanks in advance, Jake S/V OffLine jroquet@earthlink.net

J

John Richard

SSB Antenna

On our 410, the antenna was installed along the port shroud. There are six insulators that extend up to the required height of (I think) 23 feet. Each is placed on either side of the spreaders. The insulators were shipped from Australia, and they took nearly a month to arrive. The copper plate was bolted in place and its screws come into the boat beneath the aft mattress frame. I haven't purchased the ICOM and tuner yet, but it'll go to the left of the nav station beneath the circuit panel. The antenna cable leads into this locaton. John Richard s/v Jack's Place

C

Chris Webb

410 staysail

Jake, I have a staysail for my 410 that I hank on only when needed. We bought the adjustable inner forestay kit from Hunter for about 1000 bucks including staysail halyard and sheets, but not the actual staysail. It's very simple to install yourself. I had my local sail loft make a staysail for me for about 600 bucks. The area just at the back of the chain locker has a reinforced chainplate bedded in from the factory, and it's simple to drill two holes for the tang to attach to. The sheeting angle is not bad using the genoa cars and track already in place for the jib. It's an easy do it yourself project and is out of the way for the 98% of the time when we don't use the staysail. Chris Webb s/v Grand Cru II

E

Ed Schenck

Lucky guy.

To be outfitting for offshore must be a lot of fun. Regarding SSB antennas, check the link below and also search the archives for "hamsticks". Personally I like the idea of a running backstay for an antenna. It's removable and only requires one set of insulators. Mount it forward of the spreaders to ???, no toerail I presume. Then have the tuner right where the antenna cable enters the boat. If you mount a liferaft forward how will you mount a staysail? I guess you could cut it high to clear the canister. Can a B

Status
Not open for further replies.