Mounting method for cabin top cam cleats

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I'm working on improving my traveler line routings. I want to install new cam cleats with bullseyes to the aft edge of the cabin top, 4" or so outboard of the winches.
Normally I would thru bolt but not possible in this location.

Would long screws be suitable for this location and use?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Yes, Ward, they would. Why? Because the load is in shear, it's not pulling up, only sideways (i.e., shear). That's what I did. 20 years ago. Still there. :)
While you're at it, consider rotating cam cleats. When hard on the wind, it's nice to not have to get perfectly lined up. Mine are fixed, but I sailed on a friend's C34 with the rotating ones and it's far superior.
Good luck, good mod.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
If you have wood between the cabin top and the liner, there is almost certainly a void in there, and one would suspect that the closer you get to the curve, the larger the void.
My opinion, the end game would be to fill the void(s) and maybe put in a stainless threaded insert. I used this method to great effect for a foot block on the Stb side aft where there was no access below. Holes were drilled, the area was wetted out (this was solid 'glass) tapped, and the inserts were threaded in, with the gap filed with Gflex toughened. You see the final product here. Then using 10-24 bolts, the block was attached. Strong, removable and solid as all get out.
IMG_0111.JPG