Mounting a TV to cabin bulkhead

May 7, 2014
Beneteau 390 Tiburon

I have a 390 and want to mount a flat screen on a moving arm to the forward bulk head. Can I drill through to have a very secure bolted mount and can I also drill a hole through big enough for the power cord to go through and plug into a outlet on the other side of the bulkhead in the forward head cabinet? I am sure there is not any kind of wiring in the wall.

Attachments

Aug 27, 2014
Beneteau 373 San Diego
That is on my project list too. Turn on everything electrical you can up there then perhaps a stud finder with the capability of sensing live wires. Note that Zircon stud finders only find AC live wires, not DC low voltage. I would like to know how you plan on securing the swinging arm. Did you find a model that locks down?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
If it is a double panel wall you can use metal bushings cut to size to maintain the panels separation. We use a bungee cord to secure the swinging arm when the TV is not in use.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
You will not have a structural problem by drilling a hole in your bulkhead to feed a power cord through. Most bulkheads on boats your size are a single solid panel like plywood or fiberglass. It's highly unlikely that you would hit anything within it. Through bolting as you suggest would be the preferred method of attachment.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Just completed this project on my Ben343. The bulk head is veneered plywood; there is no wiring in the plywood core. Got to be careful because of what is located on the other side of the bulkhead in the forward berth. Better to lay everything out and measure several times, then drill a small pilot hole to make sure it will work out on both sides of the bulkhead. I opted to do a solid mount without the swing arm. When looking at boats prior to purchasing, I noticed a few that had televisions mounted on swing arms; the bulkheads were moderately damaged from the pounding of the unsecured/inadequately secured TV. Cant imagine it was healthy for the TV either! So, I used a solid low profile mount with 4 barrel type bolts with the flush nuts on the V berth side and one larger hole with a plastic flange/grommet for the power cord, antenna cord, and disc player cable. I had to fabricate a wood spacer and also use right angle adaptors to provide enough space between the bulkhead and the back of the TV to facilitate attachment of the cables to the back of the TV. I also installed another AC outlet in the forward berth for the TV power cord, powered antenna cord, and DVD player. I adjusted the position of the TV so that the hole for the cords ran into one of the V berth cabinets to conceal the installation. The flat antenna & DVD player sit on top the V berth cabinet shelf. I was generally pleased with the outcome. The flat TV antenna is not the best for reception; however, I did not want to run wiring up the mast to a dedicated marine tv antenna. Again, just make sure you measure everything several times and drill that small pilot hole & remeasure. You definitely don't want to drill additional holes in the bulkhead than necessary--mainly for cosmetic concerns.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The bulkhead is marine ply with veneer. My boat had just that arrangement installed by the previous owner. After a few sails I unbolted the entire mess and dropped it in a recycling bin - TV, and articulating arm. I still need to patch those ugly holes he drilled in the bulkhead. An articulating arm is not seaworthy, your TV will flop about and pound your bulkhead. A few times I thought it was going to fly off and hit the crew.

Jul 29, 2014
beneteau oceanis 45 south haven, mi
I used TV/DVD combos. Saves extra space being used for a separate DVD.

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
Beneteau 311 Ft Myers Beach
You may want to skip the swing arm but I would use some type of mounting bracket. The previous owner of my boat bolted the tv directly on the bulkhead. To change a cable to connect or disconnect something is a real pain as you have to unbolt the TV. What should be a simple thing becomes a two person task.

Sep 10, 2012
Hunter 450 Gulfport, Florida
My boat had been done that way with a 40" tv on a swinging arm and the owner had it secured with a ratcheting strap. First order was removing the mount and replacing it with a fixed one and mounting a reasonable sized display. I thought that was the only one done that way, guess I was wrong!

Jan 12, 2016
Beneteau 311 Seattle, WA
I installed a 20" 12V Majestic TV in my 311 on the forward bulk head. As others have said, nothing in it, was super careful before drilling and it cleaned up very nice.

May 7, 2014
Beneteau 390 Tiburon
I will post finished photos, also kinda funny story, i hired a new bottom diver, he ended up losing boat info and cleaned and changed zincs on the boat he thought was mine, it wasn't my boat. He will do the correct boat in the morning and someone in the marina will have a faster boat now.

Jeff

Sep 29, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Carlyle Lake in Central Illinois
Here's what I did. I mounted a 19" TV/DVR combo unit on a detachable swing arm. In the winter I pop-off the swing arm and TV and take it home. When sailing I put a Velcro strap around the two legs of the swing arm to keep them from opening. Now the sweet part. When I bought the TV mount (RV Center) it came with two wall mount brackets and one swing arm. I placed a mount on each side of the plywood bulkhead and thru bolted them together. This allows me to use the TV in the main cabin or the aft cabin. As for the electric plug, I drilled the smallest hole possible by trimming back the plastic ears of the plug. These combo units work pretty well with a small 150W cigarette lighter style inverter when away from 120V power sources.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
032.JPG 035.JPG 033.JPG 034.JPG
Photos of completed project:
This is a Vizio 19" LED
1. Barrel bolts /nuts on bulkhead in forward berth (flush mounted)
2. Flat panel TV as seen from main salon ( no wires visible)
3. Additional AC outlet installed in forward berth
4. Plastic grommet installed in forward berth cabinet for antenna wire, AC wire, and HDMI cable.