Mounting a transducer

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 22 Smithville Lake
I just purchased a Garmin echoMAP 53CV. It comes with a transom mounted transducer that is 2" wide and 6" long. One end is rounded and slightly beveled giving it sort of the look of a boat. I have read all of the threads I have been able to find. They say that even though this is designed to be mounted on the transom from the included metal bracket, it will work if installed against the hull if the hull is not cored and does not include a void, and it is mounted in a way the excludes any air. The pictures of the transducers that have been posted do not look like mine. Have any of you installed a transducer like mine?

I am planning to mount it in the aft storage compartment under the vee birth. Cloud diver said that he wanted to move his battery to this compartment in an effort to shift some weight forward. I assume that this is to improve the boat's performance. If I do the same, will the magnetic lines of force emitted by the battery cables cause interference with the transducer?

Sep 11, 2013
Catalina 25 6106 Lake Erie Metro Park
That's exactly what I did....install the transducer in the vee of the hull with toilet ring wax. I'm talking about right up against the hull itself...not the bottom of the storage compartment that's in the center of the v-berth. The transducer has to mounted directly against the hull. Plumber's putty didn't work... just make sure that there's no voids in the wax. Mine sounder works great...no interference from the battery as far as I can tell. The only thing that seems to confuse it is weeds.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I just purchased a Garmin echoMAP 53CV. It comes with a transom mounted transducer that is 2" wide and 6" long. One end is rounded and slightly beveled giving it sort of the look of a boat. I have read all of the threads I have been able to find. They say that even though this is designed to be mounted on the transom from the included metal bracket, it will work if installed against the hull if the hull is not cored and does not include a void, and it is mounted in a way the excludes any air. The pictures of the transducers that have been posted do not look like mine. Have any of you installed a transducer like mine?

I am planning to mount it in the aft storage compartment under the vee birth. Cloud diver said that he wanted to move his battery to this compartment in an effort to shift some weight forward. I assume that this is to improve the boat's performance. If I do the same, will the magnetic lines of force emitted by the battery cables cause interference with the transducer?
I have a transducer like that, mounted in plumber's putty, under the V berth and off to one side a little. I was always told the 'ducer should NOT actually touch the hull, OR be located right in the V. Given the differences between my post and @MaryEllaRose 's, I would say maybe these things are more forgiving than I thought. I definitely agree about not having air voids in the wax (or putty, or epoxy, or silicone, or whatever). The transducer's magic beam cannot go through air (or wood). And the 'ducer should aim straight down.

As far as moving the battery ... in my humble and uninformed opinion, that's a good bit of work for only a tiny amount of gain, unless you're a very avid racer or you're completely rewiring the boat anyway. But if you do move it, yes, I would keep the transducer wire away from the battery cable just for good measure. I think the instructions say that, if I recall correctly (which is rare these days).

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Worked for me too, toilet wax and just on the hull center-line just below the forward v berth storage compartment. So far no week confusion in the gulf of Mexico.

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 22 Smithville Lake
Thanks for the speedy replies. I have foam in that compartment that I will have to remove. Any of you have experience with the flotation foam that was installed in some of these boats?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Thanks for the speedy replies. I have foam in that compartment that I will have to remove. Any of you have experience with the flotation foam that was installed in some of these boats?
Yah. I created an enclosure with a piece of thin wall 4 inch PVC pipe, trimmed to fit the hull then gooped with 4200.
dsc02195 - Copy.jpg

Seeing how your 'ducer is somewhat bigger, you may need to get a little creative. I'd keep the floatation.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
I've installed a couple transducers over the years by simply epoxying them to the bottom of the interior of the hull. Mix the epoxy slowly to ensure there are no air bubbles in the resin when you bed the transducer of it will effect the operation. Here is a photo from the installation on our Capri-18 under the cockpit companionway. The Capri-18's are filed at the factory with closed cell expanding foam between the hull and the liner, so I had to dig out some foam to create a little cavern to mount the transducer.

Don
CAPRI 028.JPG

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
do a test with a water-filled ziplog bag. If it works, attach it in the hull. If it does not, you have your answer.