Mounting a transducer

Nov 10, 2013
Hunter 22 North Hero VT
We are shopping for a depth sounder for our 1981 Hunter 22, and are considering a Hummingbird. Any advice on whether to mount on the transom or inside the hull, say in the bilge?

Merry Christmas!

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
good piece of kit that hummingbird. the instructions will tell you that you want someplace where there is undisturbed water. Forward of the keel is the common place in most boats. You can't "shoot through the keel" though so I'm thinking the bilge is not possible.

Nov 5, 2013
Hunter 22 1983 Lake Norman
The biggest issue shooting thru the hull is to avoid someplace that has air pockets or a non fiberglass medium in the middle. IE it must be solid fiberglass. Then, for the purposes of a sailboat, they work great.

Since I hate external wires, I'd mount it inside the hull somewhere as opposed to a bracket on the outside, but I think finding a person who knows the hull makeup would be paramount. Of course you'd like it to be on a vertical axis, and nothing but fiberglass in between it and the water.

In the past, I've mounted them by grinding or sanding off dirt and oil, then holding a paper cup in place with a strip of masking tape. Pour in the epoxy and place the transducer in it as close to the hull as you can get. Support till solid. Try to not have any bubbles in the epoxy, they also detract from the performance of the transducer. The cup comes off afterwards leaving a very professional looking permanent mount.

Now I *really* will be looking for a location answer, as I have an 83 H22 and I want to do the same thing with a Lowrance X135 I have left over from a fishing boat upgrade (c: If someone else chimes in with a good tested location, I'll use it. Else I will find out myself where it goes later on and share the info.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Do not use epoxy for an initial test location for a transducer! Straitline has the best approach as he uses toilet bowl ring wax. Now you can relocate if it does not work well in a spot. It can be left embedded in the wax for a permanent install. Transom mounts suck for sailboats as the transducer will be bouncing out of the water. Once you find where it works well you can bed it in silicone also and now it is still removable although a little harder to cut her loose! Chief

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 23 Tampa Bay
I used that Johnny ring wax that is made for toilets. I rolled it into a ball and then smushed the transducer into the wax ball. this got out all the air and it seems to be working well. I have the alarm set at 3 feet. as soon as it goes off, my rudder will hit. bboat draws 3 feet so I know it is working. I Mounted the transducer about 3 feet behind the keel on the starboard side underneath a storage locker. it is a $85 humming bird

Nov 5, 2013
Hunter 22 1983 Lake Norman
Now that's an interesting mount. I've never heard of using a wax ring, but at least temporarily it has some advantages.

However, we're sailing in 90 degree water down here in the peak of the summer, and I think I'd be a bit concerned that it might come loose ... but then Carboman uses it in Tampa and he's got warmer water than I do ( I think, maybe not ) ..

Interesting concept. Thanks for the location you're using on the H23 Carboman, I'll check it out on my boat. I think I'll still use epoxy when I mount permanently, though (c: .. Something so 'unpermanent' about wax. (c:

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Wax works just fine.
Although, for the very reason you state, heat, I encapsulated mine in some 4 inch thin-wall PVC that's glued to the hull with 3M 4000.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 23 Tampa Bay
i will inspect mine this week/weekend and report back. it's been in the water since april 2013 and is working well.