Mounting a Magma in the curved taffrail

Jan 17, 2020
Hunter 326 Oriental, NC
I recently got a swell deal on a rectangular Magma Catalina grill, but it only has one, 1" pipe clamp in the center. The only logical place to hang it on a Hunter 326m is on the curved railing behind the port or starboard taffrail seat. Then you lose the seat! So I was thinking about getting the
Catalina Dual Extended Horizontal Round Rail Mount that has two parallel clamp and rods (see photo). However, the curved taffrail will force the clamps to grip at a diverging, non-parallel angle. This will probably not work! Has anyone tried to do this? Is there a better way? Is that way only a custom design? Please help. I'm sitting here with four, raw hamburgers...

• Ha
Jan 17, 2020
Hunter 326 Oriental, NC
Oriental, NC! Come. Beers on me. (Just joking, already returned home to NY!). But I did forget the photo, so here it is.

Attachments

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
You may have to relocate the mounts (or the mount's mounts) on the grill to accommodate the curve of the rail.
Life is hell. ;)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I’ve also seen mounts that slide into a fishing rod holder... and that interests me since I have fishing rod holders on my rail.

Jan 17, 2020
Hunter 326 Oriental, NC
Thanks, everyone. I called Magma after hours and a nice guy answered! He said the Dual Extended Rail Mount ($91 @ Home Depot with free shipping!) would work, although I might need to drill an extra hole to allign the rods. Interestingly, he said that, due to the new geometrically triangular geometry, the rig would be stronger. I ordered the part.

• Helpful