Mounting a Loudhailer / Foghorn

Jun 18, 2013
Beneteau 41.1 Glen Cove, NY
Have any of you installed a loudhailer / foghorn speaker anywhere up the mast? I just installed a new iCom VHF radio that has the foghorn function, and I'm considering purchasing a speaker to implement it. If you have one installed, where did you install it? Hanging from radome bracket? Below radar on its own bracket screwed into the mast? Hanging from one of the spreaders? Any opinions and photos would be appreciated.

Oct 3, 2008
Beneteau 393 Chesapeake Bay
I did the same a couple of years ago. Also Icom. I purchased a loudhailer (speaker) from Defender. It's mounted just under the radome, screwed to the mast. For best results, it should point down more than forward. I know that's counterintuitive, but from what I've read the sound travels over the surface of the water and should point down.

Jun 18, 2013
Beneteau 41.1 Glen Cove, NY
I did the same a couple of years ago. Also Icom. I purchased a loudhailer (speaker) from Defender. It's mounted just under the radome, screwed to the mast. For best results, it should point down more than forward. I know that's counterintuitive, but from what I've read the sound travels over the surface of the water and should point down.
Thanks for the reply. In addition to drilling the mast for the speaker's bracket, did you also have to drill a hole for the speaker wire, or did you use a pre-existing hole such as the ones that exist for the decklight/steaming light, or radome cables? And more importantly, was it all worth the effort? How often, if ever, do you use the foghorn function? Do you ever use the loadhailer?

Oct 3, 2008
Beneteau 393 Chesapeake Bay
Yes, a new hole for the speaker wire. Of course, use sealant.

I do use it occasionally, mostly the hailer more than the foghorn. But we do get fog in the Chesapeake and being prepared is a good thing. I sometimes need to use the hailer when communicating with a dock hand, other boats to raft up, etc. but not often.