Motoring mast carriers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2007
2 30 Sacketts harbor NY
I have just purchased a Catalina 30 tall rig in Mystic Conn. I will be sailing and motoring it up to lake Onterio in the spring. While motoring on the erie canel my mast must be lowered. Does anyone have plans for a mast carrier that would not take up much room in the cockpit, provide support for the mast and allow the crew to have enough headroom to make the 3 day motor as comfortable as possible. Thanks in advance for the help Steve

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I would imagine.....

...two brackets made with 2x4's bolted together, "X" style, secured to stanchion bases, one at each end of the boat, and a cradle of some sort mounted on the cabin top would give plenty of support. I wouldn't get too fancy, and I'd make them easy to dismantle. The cradle could be rectangular, perhaps 12x24 inches. Four legs cut with angle feet to match the slope of the cabin room, height determined by your requirements. I'd make the whole thing from 1x3 or 1x4, including cross bracing for legs. Some padding under the feet to protect the roof and strap it down with some rope. I'd place it just behind the mast step. Notch the cross pieces to accommodate the mast. Strap the boom to the mast.

Status
Not open for further replies.