Motorboats Prohibited

Rabe

May 15, 2019
Hunter 33 - Cherubini Port Clinton, OH
Over the holiday, I went to the Manatee Conservation Center in Fort Pierce, FL. There was a group of manatees that we got to see, and they were in and around the docks at the Fort Pierce Municipal Marina. I was interested in the marina so I did some research and looked on navionics. What intrigues me is that I saw that the area is marked:

"IDLE SPEED (APR 17 NOV 14) MANATEE ZONE MOTORBOATS PROHIBITED (NOV 15 - MAR 31) MANATEE ZONE"

While, 99% of the docks were taken by sailboats I think they're still considered motorboats. But, sailboats were going out and coming in.

So, what am I missing here?

Are sailboats not considered 'motorboats'?

Is there some way to circumvent this rule?

Is the actual area not in the marina but somewhere else?

If anyway cares to look at navionics, the marina is near the Fort Pierce, FL inlet - south side on mainland.

1578408316989.png

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
A sailboat under power is indeed a "motorboat", but can't go anywhere near as fast as a real motorboat (powerboat). Speed kills!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I'd think that since it says "motorboats", and not motoring or transiting under motor/power, sailboats are not included.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Interesting observation, except that when you look on Google Maps, it would appear that well more than 50% of the boats are power boats. There even appears to be a charter fleet of sport fishers. Perhaps all of the power boats move out from 11/15 to 3/31as the restriction implies and sailboats are allowed to move in for short term? Perhaps sailboats at slow speed aren't considered a threat even though technically a motorboat when operating with auxiliary. Those animals appear so docile, though, is it feasible to hit one with a prop even on a slow moving sailboat if you don't see it?

Motor boats are allowed from April 17 to Nov 14 but must operate at idle speed according to the restriction. Interesting little gap from 3/31 to 4/17. I wonder what restrictions, if any, are required during those 2 weeks?

Very interesting stone breakwaters!

Jun 14, 2007
Hunter 45cc Florida
The area you are referring to is Moore's Creek and the launching ramp. There used to be a power plant there that attracted manatee in the cold winter months. The plant is long gone, but the sign remains. There are a few sailboats in Moore's creek, part of the marina and are exempt. The ramp with its new docks stay closed as well

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Is the boat storage barn still there? Anchored for over a month in Moore's Creek in the early 80's and worked at Crackerboys . Was a long time ago- haven't been back to Ft Pierce since sadly

Rabe

May 15, 2019
Hunter 33 - Cherubini Port Clinton, OH
is it feasible to hit one with a prop even on a slow moving sailboat if you don't see it?
In my opinion, yes... It's very possible to hit a manatee with the prop of a slow moving sailboat. Especially in the Moore's Creek area docks.

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
I have to imagine their INTENT was to prevent MOTORING... not MOTORBOATS... though that's not what's written. For example, my rigid inflatable is a motorboat, but if the motor is tilted up, and I'm rowing it, presumably that's permissible. In fact, the way it is written I can engine in on my sailboat, but if that same sailboat is towing an inflatable (motorboat)... that's not okay... even if it isn't in use, it's technically located where it shouldn't be. Clearly they didn't intend that.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I have to imagine their INTENT was to prevent MOTORING... not MOTORBOATS... though that's not what's written. For example, my rigid inflatable is a motorboat, but if the motor is tilted up, and I'm rowing it, presumably that's permissible. In fact, the way it is written I can engine in on my sailboat, but if that same sailboat is towing an inflatable (motorboat)... that's not okay... even if it isn't in use, it's technically located where it shouldn't be. Clearly they didn't intend that.
Their intent seems to be a little bit more permissive. They specifically say that "Idle Speed" from April 17 to November 14 is permitted. That would seem (to me) to indicate that power boats are allowed to motor at idle speed.

Then, from November 15 to March 31 "Motorboats Prohibited". I'm really curious about the marinas in that zone. Google Maps clearly shows a majority of power cruisers and even a charter fleet of sport fishers. Rabe says he saw 99% sailboats, but his observations appear to be during the time period when motorboats are prohibited.

It makes some sense to me that powerboats may have to evacuate (or remain in their slip) during the winter months. I'm guessing that is when manatees are most sluggish, or they are just birthing their young, or both. If sailboats are allowed to occupy the vacant slips, perhaps from a practical standpoint, they aren't so dangerous to manatees. Perhaps sailboats may bump into them at very low speed without danger from the prop. I'm assuming that as long as nobody on a sailboat brings their boat speed up beyond a complete idle the practical reality is that manatees can get along through the critical winter months without significant harm. If sailors started violating the practical manners that are required, maybe there would be enough incidents to shut down sailboats as well.

I'm still curious about that little gap between March 31 to April 17. Am I reading that wrong? :what:

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Even when said prop is surrounded by a keel and rudder?
I had the bad experience of mangling a beautiful big sturgeon whilst motoring out of the San Rafael Channel into San Francisco Bay. We heard and felt this whump whump whump from the propeller and then saw the fish thrashing around on the surface, the distinctive diamond pattern was unmistakable.

Oct 30, 2017
Catalina c 27 Lake Pueblo
Yes a prop surrounded by a keel would be a hard hit. Though not impossible. Imagine a slow moving (most of the time) manatee that you just miss to the side of your keel.... or glance on the side of the keel. Hit from the top? Unlikely. Hit from the side? Quite possible.
That said speed has nothing to do with it.
I have on 3 separate occasions had a manatee surface under my kayak lifting me out of the water.
Once while I was sitting still taking a photo of a friend.
Of course any motor will make a heck of a lot more noise than a kayak but still.
Their backs are all scarred up for a reason.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'm still curious about that little gap between March 31 to April 17.
I can only speculate, but populations of manatee are known to migrate up and down the waterways with the seasons. It may be that the gap is a time of natural population dispersal.

-Will (Dragonfly)