Motor suggestions for a Day Sailer

Jul 25, 2023
O'Day Day Sailer Cary, NC
Hello everyone! I'm new to sailing, new to Day Sailer ownership, and new to this forum.

I recently purchased a Day Sailer without a motor. Does anyone have recommendations for a reliable inexpensive motor? I'm not looking for something to push me all around the lake, just something to get me off the dock.

Thanks in advance!
Justin
[

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 30 Stamford CT
jpcrane..... When I purchased my Daysailor in 1982 I installed a 4.5 HP outboard on it. It moved the boat but I was not happy with it. I traded it in for a 7.5 and it did a great job of moving the boat. We put hundreds of miles on that boat/engine before moving up to a larger boat. A 3.0 HP or 4.5 HP should be adequate for what you want to do.

Jul 25, 2023
O'Day Day Sailer Cary, NC
jpcrane..... When I purchased my Daysailor in 1982 I installed a 4.5 HP outboard on it. It moved the boat but I was not happy with it. I traded it in for a 7.5 and it did a great job of moving the boat. We put hundreds of miles on that boat/engine before moving up to a larger boat. A 3.0 HP or 4.5 HP should be adequate for what you want to do.
Thanks for the response. With my very little experience in sailing and from what I've read about the Daysailer II thus far, I understand that that do occasionally capsize. Is it correct to assume that if I capsize the boat with the motor that the motor will be wrecked? Thanks again!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The O'Day Day Sailer is a small light boat, it will not take much horsepower to move it along. Nor will it handle the 60 lbs of a modern 4 stroke outboard in the 4-6 hp range.

If you go the gas powered route, a small 2.5 hp outboard will be more than adequate. If you go electric a trolling motor would be the most economical. The limitation to a trolling motor is securing the battery and recharging it may be less convenient than pouring a quart of gas into the OB's tank.

Submerging an OB is definitely not recommended, however, it is not necessarily a death sentence. It will need to be serviced quickly and the seawater flushed out of it. Usually means an emergency trip to the shop.

Look for a used 2 stroke 2.5 hp OB. It will have more than enough power, be relatively inexpensive, and light enough to not be detrimental to the boat's performance.