Motor steering from tiller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
If you have a 25 style motor mount and rudder you may be interested.

I have looked at a lot of different ways to do this and this seems to be easy and inexpensive.

Rudder/Motor Steering System
[SIZE=+1]designed by Arlyn Stewart[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+2]Select this link to see my modified final design.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Although most people like to sail their sailboats, there comes a time when using an outboard motor is a welcomed accessory. When the wind dies and the bass boats are playing chicken with you or when you are trying to get your boat to the ramp and the SEA-DOOs are using you for a racing buoy, it would be nice to have a little extra help from your "iron" sail.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Although some sailboats are designed with an outboard in mind, most are not. If a sailboat is designed to mount the motor in front of the rudder, then steering with the tiller is a lot easier since the rudder is behind the propeller. But with most sailboats, the motor is an added accessory which is mounted either to the right or the left of the rudder on the transom (either directly or with a motor mount). The engine is parallel to the rudder.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]When trying to steer the boat when under power, the helmsman has one of three options. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+1]One is to "make fast" the rudder in a straight line, using either a line or a tiller lock, and steer only using the motor. [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Advantage: [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Sometimes easier to react quicker since you are steering by turning the propulsion system (the motor). [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Disadvantage: [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]The rudder is always against you since its wide blade in the water is flat against the turn. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+1]Another other option is to lock the motor so that it only points straight, normally using a tension screw, and steer using only the rudder. [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Advantage: [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Easier and more natural to steer the boat (Long tiller vs. short motor handle). [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Disadvantage: [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]You always have two different forces acting on the direction of the boat. The rudder which is turned either right or left and the engine which is pushing forward. This results in slower turns. Also, if you turn the rudder too far toward the engine, you can nick your rudder and sometimes take out large chunks. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+1]The third option is to ensure that both the motor and rudder are free to move and to steer with both the motor and the rudder. [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Advantage: [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]You get quick reaction, since the propulsion is moving with the turn and the rudder is also assisting with the turn since it is turned the same direction as the motor. [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Disadvantage: [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]You need two hands to turn both the motor and the rudder/tiller. On my boat the motor is below the top of the transom and the arm is not very long. This means that I am turned towards the stern of the boat instead of facing forward when trying to turn. This could be dangerous.. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]The best of all worlds is to turn the motor and the rudder together with one hand on the tiller. There are kits available to do this, but Arlyn Stewart designed the following method. His option was to install a soft link (cords) instead of a hard link (rods). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Here is how he did it:[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=+1]Install an eye strap on the aft of your rudder. [/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=+1]Install a line from the aft corner of the motor to the rudder by using a sister clip that cleats to the eye strap on the rudder and is adjusted so that the motor and rudder are in line. [/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=+1]And finally, positive load the motor with a bungee cord from the other aft corner of the motor to the transom quarter, a stanchion base or stern pulpit. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]That's it. The positive load is not enough to torque the rudder much and it makes it very easy to install and setup. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Simply hook sister clip to the rudder when you desire it to be used and let it dangle the rest of the time. The positive load also keeps your motor parked to one side when its not in use. Raising or lowering the motor is not affected when the sister clip is not connected.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Why did he do it? Here is what Arlyn said, "When loading my boat onto the trailer, I often have to deal with a cross wind. The high freeboard makes it very difficult to motor directly onto the trailer. (no courtesy docks) So, I motor into the wind slowly and make a hard turn onto the trailer at the last moment. This requires more turn than the rudder at such slow speeds could alone provide as well as the fact that the center board is raised. It also requires that I have excellent visibility to watch the trailer. It will also help greatly with docking as the stern can be pulled to the dock or the bow pushed to the dock after making one line fast. It will keep the prop off the rudder. This is a very simply and cheap method that I have used for three years with no surprises." [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]A great idea that I plan to try on the "Widget".[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]If you want another idea, the following are pictures of how a Hunter Owner uses a solid rod: [/SIZE]

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Nice idea time. I think you could actully tension the bungee more if when you detach the rope side from the rudder, you attach it to the transom some how or move it to a pivot point on the rudder. That would actually help to hold the motor squared and in place and keep it from getting kicked over when rocked by a large swell from the side.

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
Great to hear you got it working.

After looking at many of these its apparent that no one solution will work for any random setup - unless you've got the same boat, tiller, engine mount and engine it's going to have to be a custom job.

But of course the concept is pretty simple - and connecting the two gives a lot more maneuverability - and will help keep the prop from eating a hole in the rudder too. ;)

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
The trouble with the 25 and other is the mount sits the motor so far back(no way to hit the prop) and so low that a solid rod is almost impossible.

The aft side of the rudder castle is just inches fron the transom so that the angles are difficult.

Not to mention that the motor is way down there when in the running position.

May 22, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Diego
Deucedly clever!! I've got to measure my 25 and the motor mount. I really like it, provided it will fit and work on my '81 Mac. Time Bandit: your rudder (which I like) is decidedly leaner than the standard issue; perhaps it would work better with the original equipment rudder?? My new motor won't be here till next week, so I can't run out and measure it just yet.

Dave
San Diego

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Dave

Although that Idasailor(Ruddercraft)may not look like much of an inprovement over the stock hollow rudder, I can asure you there is no comparison.

It is the best inprovement made to the boat.:dance:

The stock rudder is in the blue bag just incase.

Deucedly clever!! I've got to measure my 25 and the motor mount. I really like it, provided it will fit and work on my '81 Mac. Time Bandit: your rudder (which I like) is decidedly leaner than the standard issue; perhaps it would work better with the original equipment rudder?? My new motor won't be here till next week, so I can't run out and measure it just yet.

Dave
San Diego

May 22, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Diego
Time Bandit:
I wasn't critical of your rudder, beleive me. In fact I have a design on the drawing board for something similar that I'm hoping to construct in the near future. I'm really tired of that 60+ lb. thing hanging on the rear! And tired of manhandling it to get it on and off. Getting too old for that nonsense.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Davenlynn. Sumner has a link to the rudder mod you want on his web site.
I just kind of fixed my partly rotten rudder by reshaping, filling and covering it with fiberglass. It had the foil shape of a 2x12 before I got at it with the belt sander. Now it has an approximately 0018 foil shape. (I didn't want to spend to much time or any $ on it as I plan to replace it with an aluminum one next year.)
Here is a link to a site that you can find airfoil shapes. ( I think 0012 is what you want.)
http://www.worldofkrauss.com/
pic 1 glassed and ready for paint
pic 2 painted (1 prime, 2 paint) and ready to install

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.