Motor start

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SailLINY

Been a lurker for a while to the board. Now new owner of a 2001 Catalina 310 (been sailing a Catalina 25 for the last 12 years). So I’ll be throwing a few questions to the board. When starting motor, do you alternate between 1 & 2 or best to start with switch to all?

Nov 12, 2006
Catalina 36 Bainbridge Island
Here is what I do

I don't have an automated charging system, so it's up to me to make sure my batteries get charged. I have two house banks connected to the 1B2off switch, and a starting battery. I start the engine using the house bank that I will be using (or have been), so that it will receive the charge from the ho alternator, and 3 stage regulator. There are two switches that connect either the starting battery, the house battery, or both to the engine/alternator. This way I have a battery to start the engine when needed. If you only have the two batteries you should alternate use of each one, always saving the other to start if the current house battery will not.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It all depends on how your boat is wired

If the alternator output goes to the 1-2-B switch, then to charge both banks you HAVE to start on B. You do NOT need the "power" of both banks to start, ONLY to charge once the engine starts. Read the Ample Power Primer at www.amplepower.com about systems. We, too, moved from a C25 to a C34 ten years ago. I know where you're coming from. Please buy and read Nigel Calder's Boatowner's Manual for Mech and Elec Systems = best $50 you can spend on your boat. Explains electrical systems very well.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You may want to consider this link

as one of many ways to do it. If you search the C34, C36 and C30 association websites you can learn a lot about electrical systems.

P

paulj

When I'm just day sailing I leave in on both

but when gunkholing I keep track which battery bank is used and how much. I always charge the start battery first.

paulj

T

Tom

schematic

Stu, all these words to describe how to hook up a reliable current source for loads, and I understand that most people may not be able to read a schematic, but, if you could draw me one of what you have done I would be grateful. Simple Visio or Auto Cad will work for me.
Thanks
EE Tom

May 24, 2004
Catalina 310 Virginia Beach, VA
On my C 310

I leave on either 1 or 2 (I normally vary by month to give bother batteries a workout), my experience has been that BOTH of my batteries charge while on shore power or from the engine while motoring. It all depends on how the boat is wired.

Jeff75

Dec 9, 2007
Catalina 310 Niagara on the Lake
I also have a 2001 Catalina 310. I generally have the switch to the all position when starting the engine and then switch to 1 or 2, to give that battery a bit of a workout as stated in a previous post. I have yet to set up a set up a separate start battery which Paul and Stu have done, but hope to in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.